Bodywork Question. Removing the tail piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bodywork Question. Removing the tail piece

OK, guys, I've scoured the site and can't find it.
    The rest of the bodywork is off and in primer waiting but I'm stumped if I can figure how those clever little Suzuki blokes fixed the tail piece on.

It's an 81 GS750E.

Any help would be marvellous.

I have not had the pleasure of working on a 750 to know for sure, but on my 850s, there are three nuts underneath, in the fender, that hold the tailpiece in place. Takes a 10mm socket and a 6" or 9" extension to reach comfortably. In the case of my 850s, only the plastic comes up, the light stays bolted to the fender.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Aaah I feared that.
      One nut in the middle at the top and the other two at the bottom corners?

Grr.. The frame is stopping me from getting in there.
      I might have to find my little uni-joint.
      Sheesh.. That could be anywhere.

Comment

Right..
        Got it.
        I was looking in the wrong spot.

The three bolts come from under the plastic fender and into the tail piece.
        The light is bolted onto that.

It all came away rather smoothly once I twigged to that.

Thanks Steve

Comment

and just for future reference..if the bike is on a center stand the rear wheel will sag down and give more acess room to those bolts.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I have not had the pleasure of working on a 750 to know for sure, but on my 850s, there are three nuts underneath, in the fender, that hold the tailpiece in place. Takes a 10mm socket and a 6" or 9" extension to reach comfortably. In the case of my 850s, only the plastic comes up, the light stays bolted to the fender.
            Its the same on my `78 GS1000...3 nuts under the rear fender. And yes, mine was on the center stand making the rear wheel drop a bit.

Comment

Leigh, i've been too embarassed to ask the same question for some time LOL. Hoped I would figure it out some day when my brain was working better. cheers mate

Comment

Thats great. I hope to take mine off too in a month or so...
                Post a pic when you have her painted!

Comment

i'm glad i read this thread. i've been thinking about sandblasting the chrome off the fenders and painting them to match the tank. sounds straight forward

Comment

Working...
                  X