Which Service Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Service Manual?

I'm looking to buy a service manual for my '83 GS550ES. I'm looking for opinions on which is the best, the Clymer or Haynes version.

Preferences are personal, but my choices, in order, are:
    1. Factory manual
    2. Clymer
    3. Haynes

Buy if you must, but be aware that BassCliff has a factory manual available for download at his site.

I happen to have all three manuals for my 850s, so my preferences are based on actual use.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Downlaoded the 83 manual off Basscliffs site.It's been great.Thought I was a paer guy but this is better.If i want paper I just print it off.

Comment

The first thing I did was to downloaded the PDF version from Basscliff's web pages, but I don't find it particularly useful. I'm more visual and need to see actual pictures of the items/tasks. The images in that service manual are pretty poor.

Comment

Clymer hands down over Haynes.......Billy

Comment

My GS1100E FSM shows pics and step-by-step procedures. Not sure on your bike.
            The Clymers is O.K., and does show lots of pics, including COLOR.
            I admit that the PDFs I have seen were of less-than-perfect quality and resolution. Do yourself a favor and purchase a paper version off Fleabay. I got mine for $30 delivered to my door, and it is an original Suzuki manual, red cover, Suzuki SKU and all. And I can carry it out to the bike if I need it.
            p.s. My Clymers sits on the shelf; today is the first time I have opened it in years.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              My GS1100E FSM shows pics and step-by-step procedures. Not sure on your bike.
              The Clymers is O.K., and does show lots of pics, including COLOR.
              Thanks guys. The Clymer manuals also seem to be slightly cheaper which is a bonus. Colour pics are even better.

Comment

Working...
              X