Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Won't You Start!!!

Alright... I need ideas.

I have soaked my carbs, changed all the o-rings.
    I have four nice blue sparks.
    Compression measured at 100 for each cylinder (measured cold).
    The bike will start for about 2 seconds on starter fluid.

Why wont it run?!?

I want to say carbs still because of the starter fluid... But I cleaned them pretty darn thoroughly!

Ideas?

Airbox sealed ? Any mods or are you running it stock ? Valves adjusted ? Battery fully charged ? Have you synced the carbs ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Is float height correct? This regulates the gas into the carbs and subsequent flow once the bike starts..How about removing the drain plugs and see if there is a strong flow from each carb. Did you also replace the intact boot orings..vacuum leak there maybe..try to start it with petcock on prime and once it starts ( and will stay running ) then switch to on and see if the bike dies..that will be an indication of a toasted petcock... just a few things i can think of right now..
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Airbox sealed ? Any mods or are you running it stock ? Valves adjusted ? Battery fully charged ? Have you synced the carbs ?
        Airbox is sealed (i think?).
        No mods, bone stock.
        Battery is charged.
        Carbs have been bench synched.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Is float height correct? This regulates the gas into the carbs and subsequent flow once the bike starts..How about removing the drain plugs and see if there is a strong flow from each carb. Did you also replace the intact boot orings..vacuum leak there maybe..try to start it with petcock on prime and once it starts ( and will stay running ) then switch to on and see if the bike dies..that will be an indication of a toasted petcock... just a few things i can think of right now..
          I checked the float height.
          There is fuel in all the carbs.
          I replaced two of the intake o-rings and found that the PO had likely changed them already.
          I am running on a temp tank, no petcock.

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

well if its a free flow gravity fed tank there should be no problems as far as delivery except maybe the temp tank needs vented a bit.. what they call vacuum lock..seems it should start just fine otherwise from what you are saying..HMM!!
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OH forgot to answer one of Larry's questions...

Valves have not been adjusted... But could that really cause it not to start? Especially considering how it starts on starter fluid?! And has compression...

The temp tank is more a funnel attached to the fuel line... So it couldnt really be a vacuum lock there.

I really dont want to have to tear down my carbs AGAIN!!!

Comment

Yes. Valves to far out of adjustment makes it difficult to start.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yes. Valves to far out of adjustment makes it difficult to start.
                  Wouldn't it then catch and stay on after using the starter fluid?

Comment

do you have the vacuum port on the carbs that usually goes to the petcock plugged off??

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                      Wouldn't it then catch and stay on after using the starter fluid?
                      Not if they're much too tight it won't. Valve clearance checks are a must on these old girls.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        Not if they're much too tight it won't. Valve clearance checks are a must on these old girls.
                        Correct. These bikes like well adjusted valves like a kid loves candy. It's my opinion that it's the reason why alot of bikes got parked "back in the day". They got harder and harder to start and eventually got put in the back of the shed to rot away. When actually an hour spent adjusting the valves would've woke them right back up.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          do you have the vacuum port on the carbs that usually goes to the petcock plugged off??
                          OOOOOH! No I did not!!! I had it plugged but I had unplugged it! (Because I needed that screwdriver ).

Unfortunately, having plugged it... Still no go.

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                          It has started recently (pretty easily), so while I fully intend to do a valve adjustment very soon, I don't want to wait till I have just to find I have the same issue still...
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

If it started recently and fairly easily....what has changed between now and then ?

To answer you're question as to why it won't start....I'd say because you need to adjust the valves. You're going to do it anyway to ride the bike daily, so, what can it hurt ?
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

If it started recently and fairly easily....what has changed between now and then ?

To answer you're question as to why it won't start....I'd say because you need to adjust the valves. You're going to do it anyway to ride the bike daily, so, what can it hurt ?
                              I know! I need to do the valves... I've been procrastinating, I'm terrified I'll break something.

Anyhow, story of the bike.
                              After I got it from the OP, Changed the air-filter and did an oil-change and I cleaned the carbs... badly.
                              Didnt work, so I started learning on here.
                              Cleaned the carbs better, still no soak (couldnt find).
                              Now it worked but rather badly (high and not very reliable idle).
                              Bought some carb cleaner and soaked the carbs and changed the o-rings, also polished the exhaust. Now it wont even think of starting.

Comment

Working...
                              X