Torque wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque wrench

Has anyone ever used this model from harbor frieght? If so how was it? Its kind of a, I dont feel like waiting for one to come in the mail, and i dont want to fork over too much money. Of course if its no good, ill go better.

Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM. Reason: oppppsey, forgot link.

Works fine for me. I also grabbed the other two sizes.

The beam-style wrenches are also inexpensive, and very robust. You never have to worry about the calibration.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

sweet. thanks. Looks like daddy's gonna pick up a new tool for the weekend assembly.

Comment

A Craftsman beam-type torque wrench from Sears is about $25 and is far more trustworthy and durable. Simple, no moving parts, and accurate even when abused.

I'm not a big fan of clickers, even the expensive ones. If you look at the directions, you're supposed to unload the spring before storing. This gets rather tedious, and it's easy to forget.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I bought the harbor frieght ones and they are ok. Don't have any experience with any other wrench to compare. Since I am a weekend wrencher they work for me. Only thing I don't like about them is the lock to hold the torque value in place slips on me. Also, since I never used one before I didn't realize it was click and over tightened.

Comment

hmmmm........im used to using a beam type. But I dont know about any of the procedures as far as calibrating or storage. Ive always used my fathers beam type and it wasnt in the greatest shape. the beam was bent, and the pointer was screwed up. i guess thats due to improper storage...buuut i digress. Now i have a new question. Is the craftsman beam type pretty accurate? and does it stay accurate? This whole unloading the spring and calibration is turning me off..

Comment

Originally posted by shiznizbiz View Post
              hmmmm........im used to using a beam type. But I dont know about any of the procedures as far as calibrating or storage. Ive always used my fathers beam type and it wasnt in the greatest shape. the beam was bent, and the pointer was screwed up. i guess thats due to improper storage...buuut i digress. Now i have a new question. Is the craftsman beam type pretty accurate? and does it stay accurate? This whole unloading the spring and calibration is turning me off..
              Beam type a dead reliable. If the pointer gets bent, bend it back to zero and go to work. Down side to beam type is they are a little less accurate than a properly calibrated clicker type, maybe +/- 10% vs. +/- 5%. The most accurate are the dial type which are about 10x the money.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Any torque wrench beats freehanding. I assemble everything with two torque wrenches and a list of the specs collected from the manual. I found a friends wheel at only 20 Lbs on the axle bolt when it called for 66. From a shop no less.

Don;t try to do small numbers with a large wrench. get a inch pound wrench that goes from 0 - 240 inch pouinds ( 0 - 20 lbs/ft) for oil drain plugs, case bolts, and other things around 5 - 10 lbs that are easy to snap. Nothing ruins your day like a stripped bolt.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

interesting. SO with a beam type, is user consistency is a huge factor in accuracy?

Comment

Accurate to plus/minus 4%? If not, you can return it for recalibration next time you're in Tinsin. Bargain-priced Chinese junk is still Chinese junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Works fine for me. I also grabbed the other two sizes. ...
                      I happened to be in there when the torque wrenches were on sale. Got all three sizes (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") for a total of about $50.
                      Have not checked them against any kind of calibration (yet) so I don't know how far off they are.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      I'm not a big fan of clickers, even the expensive ones. If you look at the directions, you're supposed to unload the spring before storing. This gets rather tedious, and it's easy to forget.
                      If I was a line mechanic at a dealership and used my torque wrenches every day, yes, the tedium would get to me, but I use my torque wrenches but a few times a year. The few extra seconds it takes to set them, then unload them is not much of a problem.

Other points to consider: Yes, the beam are a bit or accurate, but you also have to be inline to be able to read the scale. Being off-angle can give you some interesting results.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

re

I bought the exact one about a month ago, and compared it to a snapon, to check to see if it was accurate. It reads well, and is accurate. What I didn't like about it is its click, isn't a pronounced hard click. It is more of a muffled thud, that could easily be missed. So just watch out for that. If they are all like mine you could miss the click, and over tighten a bolt. It appears to be a great tool for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
                          I bought the exact one about a month ago, and compared it to a snapon, to check to see if it was accurate. It reads well, and is accurate. What I didn't like about it is its click, isn't a pronounced hard click. It is more of a muffled thud, that could easily be missed. So just watch out for that. If they are all like mine you could miss the click, and over tighten a bolt. It appears to be a great tool for the money.

I will only use a HF torque wrench

Sorry that is what I have and I have calibrated them when doing something precise and they are always repeatable. Remember 10% accuracy is all you need when dealing with the variation in bolt torque.

Comment

A bigger variable is the condition of the threads. If the hole or theads of the bolt are not clean it can have a big effect on torque readings. I use a tap and die set to clean threads on critical stuff.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                              A bigger variable is the condition of the threads. If the hole or theads of the bolt are not clean it can have a big effect on torque readings. I use a tap and die set to clean threads on critical stuff.
                              Definately important.

I wouldn't worry so much about calibrating it as remembering to unload it when your done. unless your a pro constantly torqueing things down all the time the calibration shouldn't (<--Disclaimer ) be an issue. (Assuming it was calibrated correctly from the factory.)

Comment

Working...
                              X