Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you store your GS for the winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you store your GS for the winter?

Hello all,
    What's the best way to store a GS over winter?

I make sure it has a fresh oil change and some fuel stabilizer in the tank. I also go out and start it evey so often. Also a battery maintainer would be good.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Add fuel stabilizer to tank, run bike to make sure it gets to all the carbs.
      Personally, I doubt the need to run bike at all over the storage period- I don't think the bike cares if it's been idle for 4 weeks or 4 months. If you do feel the need to fire it up, make sure you run it long and hot enough to get rid of water vapor. Definitely store battery in warm place and charge it- maybe once a month, but AGM batteries seem to hold charge longer.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Turn off petcock. Remove battery. Cover.

Comment

Put on a jacket and ride it once in a while. Storage is for pussies.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Put on a jacket and ride it once in a while. Storage is for pussies.
            Pussies ride every once in a while.

Park it when the ice starts sticking to the asphalt. Ride it when it starts to melt.

Comment

Sounds like

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              Pussies ride every once in a while.

Park it when the ice starts sticking to the asphalt. Ride it when it starts to melt.
              sounds like those words are from experience, i had done the same thing lol.

almost tipped my gs 750ec a couple of times, but you see i have a garage this winter. so i plan to keep it nice.

i also have to work on its cosmetics, i really need to bad, both of my side plates fell off when i was riding. i need to replace those. anywho ill post pics when im done.

I love to work on my motorcycle
              Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2010, 12:51 AM. Reason: tipped it and on

Comment

Be sure the tires are inflated to pressure and leave it on the center stand, drain the carbs, empty the tank COMPLETELY and air it out. Then put the tank in your basement. (temp is warm and consistant, no condensation rust)
                You'll change the crankcase oil in the spring anyway for the new riding season.
                Kiss it goodnight and tarp `er over.
                my .02

Comment

Seafoam in the tank...go fill it up with gas...park it...plug in the battery tender....

Resist the urge to ride until the salt is off the roads....
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

My 2 Cents,

Green/Blue, whatever color it is, Sta-Bil, not the red. Recommended doseage on bottle, fill er' up with gas, take a 5-10 mile ride, top the tank off to the brim (no air=no rust), drain the bowls, remove batt and put on tender, dream of dry, ice free roads in spring......the end.........

Spring:

Oil & filter, pop the fresh batt in, fill the bowls, ..................run it......... once the old gas is gone she'll be like new.

Done it. Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X