Center stand removal help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center stand removal help!!

As I was removing my center stand, I got the left side (clutch side) bolt off, but while trying to remove the right side (brake side), it would not budge. I removed the codder pins from both bolt ends, but I did not remove the spring while doing all of this. Should I have?

Also, I ended up breaking the welding on square nut on the inside of the center stand mount. I can just buy another nut and make sure it's tightened down securely when putting the center stand back on right?

I'm bloody, sweaty and frustrated....I need help lol.

The bolt was probably just seized in place. The spring wouldn't have kept you from removing the bolts though I do it first. Just get the right size bolt and nut to fit the bushing through the bushing on the stand. It will work fine.

Comment

Thing is I can't even get the bolt from the mount, it won't hammer out nor will it pull out.

Comment

where are you? you might get some help from someone on here if you wanted.

Comment

Ah sorry I thought I had my location posted, I'm in Buffalo, NY

Comment

Might try heating things up and using a drift to try driving it out. If that doesn't work use some sort of penetrating fluid. It might be easier attacking it from the bolt side of things by cutting the head of the bolt off. Of course you'll need a dremel or an angle grinder to do that.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

That's definitely do-able, I'll probably use the torch on it tonight. If not then I was going to weld a handle onto the end, spray penetrating oil and then pull it out of the mount.

Comment

Hmm, still no luck with the penetrating oil. I'm probably going to have to cut the bolt end off and tap it out.

Comment

Tap some flat washers in the spring when the stand is down, lift it up & remove the spring. The rest it sounds like your getting it done

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                    Tap some flat washers in the spring when the stand is down, lift it up & remove the spring.
                    Nice little trick there
                    Scott
                    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                    sigpic

Comment

Do you think the spring is putting that much pressure on the bolt? It's spinning like crazy but not budging. I'll try that before I dremel the end off though.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the help/feedback.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Motocrossx23 View Post
                        Do you think the spring is putting that much pressure on the bolt? It's spinning like crazy but not budging. I'll try that before I dremel the end off though.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the help/feedback.

-Chris
                        The bolt is corroded inside the bushing it goes through.

Comment

Well, I got the spring off using the washer/penny method, the bolt is still turning freely so I am going to say that yes, the bolt is rusted to the bushing.

Ughh, I wanted my bike down to the frame by now and this thing has set me back a week now.

Comment

Originally posted by Motocrossx23 View Post
                            Well, I got the spring off using the washer/penny method, the bolt is still turning freely so I am going to say that yes, the bolt is rusted to the bushing.

Ughh, I wanted my bike down to the frame by now and this thing has set me back a week now.
                            You could take a dremel or angle grinder and cut them both out of the frame tabs. It wold be a little tough working under the bike but it you're careful you could cut just inside the tabs to get the bolt and bushing out. The bushing might be able to be saved then though you'll lose a little metal. You could use a washer or two to make up for that.

Comment

You mean cut the mount tabs themselves or the ends of the bolt head/bolt end?

Comment

Working...
                              X