Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

great performance in cold but not hot weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great performance in cold but not hot weather.

My bike works good on hot days but lately I have noticed it is working better.

Maybe its Inuit?

I know cold air is denser and this would account for some of the performance but my god it started first hit in a downpour 15 degrees celsius a few mins ago

I was shocked expecting the oil to be a tad thick for this temp being 20w40 dino oil.

I cant imagine how good it will perform in a snowstorm in January.

i used to work ini the auto industry and was surprised to learn that the heat killed a battery faster than cold. they also said 'don't be impressed by the die hard commercial' where the die hard started several cars on an extremely cold day. they said that battery's cca increase as temps decrease. i don't know, i'm not the chemist.

Comment

It's a tested (by me) and proven (by me) "fact" that a 1980 Suzuki GS850L used and abused (by me) runs much better in colder temps. I've ridden mine in temps up to 110 deg F, and down to 17 deg F (almost on the same trip, not quite ). Just the other day when temps got down to 39 deg F here, she seemed to have a lot more power. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with colder more dense air, because at 7-8,000 foot elevation, 27 deg F didn't give me that much extra power, but it was flooding at that time due to float levels being just a tad too high for it run right as well.

Comment

Perhaps you're running a tad on the rich side?

Comment

+1. Dense air makes a lot more power if there is enough fuel to burn it. Going into cold air has the same effect as going into a much lower elevation, there's just more air to burn. Very noticeable difference.
          If you are too rich in hot weather, the denser air when it's cold makes the mixture closer to perfect, the engine makes a lot more power.
          Last edited by tkent02; 09-29-2010, 11:59 PM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X