Anti-seize for ss bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-seize for ss bolts?

I recently purchased the stainless steel allen head bolt kit from z1. Ive been reading that i should use an anti seize to prevent corrosion between the differing metals. I have a tube of this from when i rebuilt my engine. would it work for the task at hand? The task being preventing corrosion in my shiney new threads.Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks

It's not the same as anti-seize compound. A small tube will last forever and keep you from breaking bolts off later.

Comment

Nope - not the same stuff.

A big discussion about anti-sieze compounds here:

Comment

Make sure you use copper based.

Comment

sooo, i took your advice, but i had to know a reason why i shouldn't use the stuff since I'm not one to blindly follow advice given.(not that i don't trust anyone, i just need to be able to explain it myself) I looked up some stuff and found a good article giving good reasons to not use what i originally asked about. here it is. enjoy. Sounds scary. I'm definitely staying away from it for the purposes of anti-seize on my bolts. Now lets say i was a dummy and used some already on my signal generator cover bolts to test it out......yeah...thats it...lol! how on earth would i go about getting that crap out? Pull the bolts and wipe them clean, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat? And then once a sufficient amount has been pulled form the threading, i should just throw on some copper based anti seize and call it a day? Or is there something else?
          Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I wire wheel will clean the gunk from the threads of the bolt and a tap ran CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY into the holes will clean it from the case holes
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If the bolt holes are not through holes (i.e. they are blind) you can flush it out.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Q-tips work well too.

It's ok - 'experience' is the name we give to our collective mistakes. Some of us are really 'experienced'

Comment

Carb cleaner sprayed with a tube down the hole works great too, if it's not a through hole.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you're getting anti-seize for the first time, try getting Never Seez (made by Bostick). It's made to take more heat by a few hundred degrees than the regular stuff. They make it for use in nuclear powerplants and other heavy industry. You don't need that much protection for a bolt in the side casing, but you get a little more comfort when using it on things like spark plugs and exhaust manifolds.

Comment

I have been using this stuff forever. On my Commando, I started using it even on gaskets as a release agent even. No complaints. 1600 degrees, available anywhere. I prefer ir to the copper mainly because any mess matches the color of the aluminum.

Its decent for holding O rings in place too.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                        It's ok - 'experience' is the name we give to our collective mistakes. Some of us are really 'experienced'
                        Im pretty experienced, just not yet with motorcycle maintenance. Gotta love learning from your own mistakes. lol I think im going to do the carb cleaner flush since most arent through holes from what i remember. And if they are, ill q tip em. thanks guys.
                        Oh and 850combat.....thats got graphite in it too. but does it not matter since it also has copper in it and that its suitable for marine use? Have you ever had any corrosion issues with it more specifically between the stainless and aluminum? Im just trying to get personal experiences with products since i don t"know" any one that actually works on thier own bike.

Comment

450 T and L Seat Pan Length

Just put something in here totally unrelated instead of in a new thread...

Nothing to see here, move along...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                          X