ISO repair mentor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO repair mentor

i need to diss-assemble the motor of my '83 gs650g to replace all seals and inspect for possible damage from previous owner.

will be a month or so to get money to buy tools and seals and whatever else i need, i do have a garage to use for the job.

looking for mentor because this is the first time i have ever done this type of major repair and i don't know a whole lot about engine building.

thanks in advance.

oh, i live in indy, at speedway indianapolis

Originally posted by krowe985 View Post
    i need to diss-assemble the motor of my '83 gs650g to replace all seals and inspect for possible damage from previous owner.
    On another post you referred to an 81 gs650 - is this another bike?Anyways, what " possible damage " do you hope to find- is there something obvious wrong? This is a lot of work to explore possibilities!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I live right off 79th & Georgetown. Holler if you need a hand!

Email works better than a PM: brian@bwringer.com
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        On another post you referred to an 81 gs650 - is this another bike?Anyways, what " possible damage " do you hope to find- is there something obvious wrong? This is a lot of work to explore possibilities!

yea same bike, sorry for typo made post from cell phone, as for possible damage there isn't anything really major that sticks out but the bike was driven only 80 miles in over 10 years before i got it and there's evidence that it was laid over at some time but the damage on the outside looks very minor, plus i talked to the original owner, he wouldn't disclose if it had been laid over or what altercations were made but he did say that oil changes and regular maintenance was kept up and that no seals had ever been replaced. to mine and his current knowledge clutch has never been replaced, cause i have had minor probs with clutch.

the bike switched hands 5 times between me and him within 20 years and it was never registered or retitled in that time, so any thing could've happened, thus the reason for suspicioun of possible damage.

Comment

yea same bike, sorry for typo made post from cell phone, as for possible damage there isn't anything really major that sticks out but the bike was driven only 80 miles in over 10 years before i got it and there's evidence that it was laid over at some time but the damage on the outside looks very minor, plus i talked to the original owner, he wouldn't disclose if it had been laid over or what altercations were made but he did say that oil changes and regular maintenance was kept up and that no seals had ever been replaced. to mine and his current knowledge clutch has never been replaced, cause i have had minor probs with clutch.

the bike switched hands 5 times between me and him within 20 years and it was never registered or retitled in that time, so any thing could've happened, thus the reason for suspicioun of possible damage.

I still don't understand why you want to tear it down. What's it doing that makes you susupect their is possible damage? Most clutch issues are easy to fix by changing out springs or properly adjusting the cable throw. Laying the bike over doesn't damage internal components.

If it runs, do "the normal" things to it (i.e. adjust the valves, clean the carbs, check the electrical system, etc...) and ride the thing.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            I still don't understand why you want to tear it down. What's it doing that makes you susupect their is possible damage? Most clutch issues are easy to fix by changing out springs or properly adjusting the cable throw. Laying the bike over doesn't damage internal components.

If it runs, do "the normal" things to it (i.e. adjust the valves, clean the carbs, check the electrical system, etc...) and ride the thing.
            Yeah, give this bike a wake up call by running it before you tear into it!
            What's the odometer say?
            Switched hands five times between you and him??? was it onfire?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Yeah, give this bike a wake up call by running it before you tear into it!
              What's the odometer say?
              Switched hands five times between you and him??? was it onfire?
              no not hot, got a clean title on it now, i have driven it for 1000+ miles since i got it. reason i want to inspect it is because i already need to break open the engine to replace the top head gasket, with every day use of 20-30 miles a day it will go through a quart of oil a week. has been that way since i bought it, only paid $300 cash for it.

Comment

no not hot, got a clean title on it now, i have driven it for 1000+ miles since i got it. reason i want to inspect it is because i already need to break open the engine to replace the top head gasket, with every day use of 20-30 miles a day it will go through a quart of oil a week. has been that way since i bought it, only paid $300 cash for it.
                Leaking cam cover gasket or actual head gasket?( or maybe even tach drive seal ) Replacing these is a lot less work than tearing into lower end. You didn't say the mileage! These motors are pretty tough- I wouldn't suspect problems down there unless you had plenty of miles or nonexistent maintenance. Newbie on here just got one with 57k- look great.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X