Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear brake sticks. tried hamering on it..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake sticks. tried hamering on it..

I was told once to try and take a block of wood and tap it with a hammer right on the shaft of the rear brake.

when i tried that, it slid inwards, about 1/4 of an inch, and now i can't get the pedal back on.

I'm not 100% sure on how to unhook the rear brake from the master cylinder so I can slide the shaft back in. anyone have any suggestions?

1982 Gs 1100 GL

Originally posted by Ohioan View Post
    I'm not 100% sure on how to unhook the rear brake from the master cylinder so I can slide the shaft back in. anyone have any suggestions?

1982 Gs 1100 GL
    If you look on the inside of the shaft, you will see where there is a rod that goes up to the master cylinder. Pull the cotter pin, slide the pivot pin out of the clevis, the brake lever shaft is now free (except for the spring that goes to the brake light switch).

While you have it that far apart, I would highly recommend taking the brake arm out, cleaning it (and its "home" in the frame) with a wire brush, then apply a coat of grease and put it all back together.

.Part #17 in this picture:
    Last edited by Steve; 09-29-2010, 06:24 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

okay, I just pull number 22 from 21.

Its really tight in there.

This may be a dumb question, but do I need to replace the cotter pin with a new pin?

And is there tension on #17?

Comment

The only tension on #17 will be from spring #20. It's not much, but you should remove the spring before you remove #17. Once you have pin #21 removed and the long spring that reaches up to the brake light switch (it's not shown in that fiche, but connects right above where 17 is pointing to), continue to drive #17 toward the inside of the frame to remove it. Clean it with a wire brush, clean out the hole in the frame, then grease it and put it back in place.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright, I see what to do. Now just to get in there and tear it out.

Comment

Working...
          X