Need advice about an exhaust bolt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice about an exhaust bolt...

My 1100EX "spit" an exhaust bolt while I was riding tonite - I heard a metallic "tinkle" sound & then a loud exhaust leak noise...

When I stopped to inspect it, I discovered the missing exhaust header bolt.

I tried threading another bolt in when i got home, but the threaded hole had pretty much given up the ghost - the threads were kinda gone,

Soooo... my question is:

Do I heli-coil the stock M8x1.25 threads - or -
    Should I just open up the hole to M10x1.25 with the tap I already have??

what would youy guys do?

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Helicoil! No reason to butcher the hole to 10mm. Ray.

Comment

I prefer threaded inserts over helicoils. Ive had bad experiences with them vibrating out even done to manufactures specs. Threaded inserts on the other hand stay where theyve been put.

Comment

helicoil

I just spent a lot of time on a used engine I bought. Had one broken off bolt. Spend hours drilling til I realized it had a broken extractor tip in it. Had to take a tiny drill bit and then drill small relief holes. Then I tapped the center with a nail punch to push down the broken tip. etc....Took a long time. Then I redrilled working my way up to the 21/64 drill bit for the helicoil.

Just get the helicoil kit for the 8mm. I think Advance has them with more coils in the kit for about $30. You just need to pick up a good drill bit with above size.
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
        X