Kick stand bolts wont thread in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick stand bolts wont thread in

When I bought my bike, the PO had left one of the kickstand bolts out so there was only one bolt holding the kickstand to the frame. Through use, that single bolt managed to free itself so this afternoon I pulled the exhaust to replace both bolts with spares that I had from my old GS. The issue that Im having is that the new bolts wont thread in. Its almost as though there are no threads/nuts/anything inside the kickstand mount on the frame. I guess my question is, what size bolts mount the kickstand to the frame and how are they secured inside the mount on the frame?

This is a PITA design and often causes problems. Suzuki very lightly tack welded the nuts on the inside of that cover and they very easily 'un-tack' when the bolts are removed.

I've done a few of these and have never been beaten (though prepare for hours of frustrating fun....not). My trick is to fiddle around with a bit of thin wire until you can find that loose nut and pull it back over the hole, where it's meant to be.

Others have had the same problem and I think I've seen alternative solutions on here.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

maybe drillout the hole and fit an 8mm clinch nut in its place, they are 8mm bolts
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I had the same problem as well only I could not find any nut inside. I just leaned the bike over against the garage wall as far as I needed and drilled a hole all the way through the plate. Then I used bolts with self locking nuts as well as Loctite to make sure it won't come loose again. So far so good.

Comment

I was thinking about tapping the existing holes in the kickstand and the mounting plate, getting new bolts and using blue loctite to keep everything secure. The idea of "fishing" for the bolts that are "supposed" to be in there just doesnt sound like fun to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
            The idea of "fishing" for the bolts that are "supposed" to be in there just doesnt sound like fun to me.
            The obvious "followup" question is, of course, "When you ride the bike do you ever hear any rattling around of the bolts that are possibly now loose inside? If so you're gonna want to go on a "fishing" trip anyway...

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
            X