Oil window too dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil window too dark

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I need help. I have 77 GS 750 and my oil window is black on the inside and I can't tell how much oil is in it. How can I tell and is there a dipstick or something I can buy to check the oil. Also I read we can use full synthetic oil or even diesel oil in our bikes. I thought you couldn't use synth with a wet clutch? Please help

its easy enough to pop the clutch cover off and clean the window. you can safely use synthetic oil without any problem
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks will do that.

Comment

The window can be replaced too. I can't remember all the details but if you use the search feature here the answer is in the archives.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

deisel oil might help clean your window as it uses detergents
          I use penrite full synthetic in my gs 1000
          Dont use friction modifiers < they will make the clutch slip
          Use a torch to check the oil level in the window

Comment

Originally posted by nufnuf View Post
            ... Use a torch to check the oil level in the window

To the rest of the world, a "torch" is a flashlight.

Also check to see if the "black" on the window is just dirty oil that is completely filling the window.

Change the oil, see if that helps. Yes, diesel oil works well, many of us use Rotella. Some use "dino", some use "synthetic".

Last edited by Steve; 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I took `the cover off and soaked the window with laquer thinner from the inside for about 10 minutes or so. Then use Qtips and go thru the slots to scrub off the tarnish and buildup..clear as a bell after that. And yes there was a thread about a year ago where someone mentioned that they took the glass to a watch shop and had a crystal made. Also i have read about using a disc cut from lexan to replace a really bad one.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i got a kawasaki sight glass in my GS. hasnt got the slotted metal shield behind it. easier to read the level and dosent blacken up
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I always wondered if i couild just remove that metal slotted shield and make cleaning easier..or does it actually hold the glass in? Maybe at a minimum dremel the cage part off and leave the outer ring in there???
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Also i have read about using a disc cut from lexan to replace a really bad one.
                    I have done that for a brake reservoir window, but have not heard of it being done for engine oil.

Not saying it can't be done, just have not yet heard of it.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

if it held up to brake fluid which is much more caustic over time i think it would be no problem for oil resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        if it held up to brake fluid which is much more caustic over time i think it would be no problem for oil resistance.
                        I was thinking more of the thermal stress of the oil window.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Also check to see if the "black" on the window is just dirty oil that is completely filling the window.

I think that's a good guess, Steve. I thought of the same thing.
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                          X