Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought an 1100E, Can you help with some simple setup questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have a look at the tires and see what the date codes are like. All in all, I do think that the bike was serviced fairly recently.

It has taken me some getting used to but I think that other than the dead battery everything does seem to be in order. The air filter was likely just missing the outer insert, I've ordered a new one which should be in next week. I've ordered some Oil filters as well but I'm willing to bet that once I drain the old oil I find out that the bike hadn't really been ridden much since it's last servicing (just a hunch).

I do have a laundry list of modifications I'd like to make but I'm thinking that most will take place over the winter months in preparation for some fun next year. All in all, I'm attempting NOT to dump hundreds of dollars into this bike, so I don't feel like I should have just bought something better/newer which wouldn't have needed all the upgrades. I'm OK with safety mods but I don't need this bike to be a top performer at a drag strip (now I'll wait for someone here to tell the the dyna mod is a MUST, lol.).

If it needs tires I'll replace them for this coming season. I'm also looking into the stainless braid brake cables but if I start with modifications like that and the Dyna stuff it's going to start setting me back a ways.

I also don't know how I could tell what sprockets I currently have on. The 530 conversion sounds like it makes sense but I don't know if that entails removing the rear whell and main sprocket of taking apart half of the engine to get to the front sprocket (or both). Any more details there for me ???

Thanks.

Comment

It looks like you are missing the rear half of your airfilter box.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post
        Crag,

Keep making the requests and I'll keep adding the data to my signature.

Being that I live just north west if NYC I assume there likely are GSers in my neck of the woods.

Interesting story -
        I called many auto shops and even bike dealers looking for a battery for the GS1100E. I kept inquiring about the sensor and people seemed to think I was mad.

Them happened to come across a local mechanic here in Spring Valley NY who knew a lot about my bike. (even had the battery on hand and filled/charged for me).
        Turns out that he tells me he harvested hundreds of engines from 1100E's back in the mid 90s for drag bikes. Hanging from his rafters (minus the engine) was his own drag bike which placed 3rd at the AMA races back in the day (hired a pro rider - 200+ in 6 sec I believe).

While I assume he's an expert on the engine I don't know what he knew about the other components other than what he could get rid of them for. All in all, I'm happy to make use of his services when required but since I'm a hands on guy when it comes to technology I wouldn't mind learning as much as I can.
        could we get a name of the guy and or his shop.
        just wondering .... its always nice to hear about people that raced back in the day or at least back when i was doing the prostar thing.

Comment

Working...
        X