Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard throttle pull...?? HELP

Hey everyone,

New to the site. I just picked up a very nice '78 GS750 yesterday in Omaha, NE. I was looking for a KZ900 or KZ1000 or a mid '70's CB750, but those bikes are out of my price range.

I was pleasantly suprised to find the GS750 I bought is everthing those other bikes are, looks/performance/reliability, but at a much better price point. I think the GS series of bikes are fantastically overlooked right now. Maybe the best kept secret in the "classic" bike market. Anyway,...I diegress.

I really like my new GS750 with one exception! The effort to rotate the throttle is horrendous. You have to have forarms like King Kong to hold the throttle in place while cruising down the highway. I rode the bike to Omaha (bout 20 miles) and couldn't wait to get there 'cuz the strain on my hand was almost too much.

I have lubed the throttle cables and I took the throttle tube off the bar and smeared a light amount of grease on the bar before re-installing the throttle tube. This did nothing to lessen the effort to rotate the throttle. And when releasing the throttle, the "taps" slam shut with authority! So I know the cables are not binding anywhere.

Maybe I'm just used to modern bikes with their 'easy' throttle pull, but I sure hope there is a simple fix for this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Trent

My old CB550 was the same way. you get used to it, wrist and forearm muscles build, and eventually your modern "easy twist throttle" feels like broken cables.

Comment

Maybe take a look at the spring on the carbs, could be a PO substituted something more hardcore.

Comment

Will your throttle snap shut from any position , lock to lock ?
        If so , you'll just have to "man up" .

Cheers , Simon .
        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
          Maybe take a look at the spring on the carbs, could be a PO substituted something more hardcore.
          Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
          Will your throttle snap shut from any position , lock to lock ?
          If so , you'll just have to "man up" .

Cheers , Simon .

What they said

Comment

My 650 throttle feels too strong for me- but you'll get use to it! If you're ambitious, take off tank, check cable routing and operate carbs at that end to convince yourself that throttle cable is not the problem.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hmm as long as the throttle returns with a "snap" then it should be working just fine. Maybe you can rotate the throttle assembly backwards on the handlebar so that you need less wrist motion to open the throttle once it's comfortable for you.

Comment

Bladerunner, seems like you and I are twins...I also originally was looking for a nice Kaw Z or KZ before I bought my GS750 as I had never been a fan of Suzuki, but the $$ here in the Chicago area is nuts in regards to the Kawasaki's. Found my GS really local, may have paid a bit too much for her, but much less than a comparable KZ. After having her I am glad I went with a Suzuki, was never aware how good they really are.

Anyway, my throttle is just as you have described, I thought maybe I was just getting too old and soft. I have seen it before stated that the non-cv carbs are much stiffer than the cv carb models.

Comment

Yes, the older VM carbs have a significantly higher effort throttle than the new CV carbs. Plus, they have the added drag of the double-cable system.

With all that said, it was once common to see VM carbs with the closing cable removed and a stronger return spring added. (You see, the slide can stick under certain high-flow conditions on VM carbs, which could be dangerous, so they needed a system for ensuring that the slides would always return. Hence the closing cables on stock bikes.)

Sounds like you do have both cables, so perhaps you either need to just get used to it or see if a stronger than normal spring has been fitted. I believe the stock throttle return spring is still available. Or, perhaps you can find a slightly weaker spring -- as long as you have the closing cable in place, you should be OK.

Another tactic is to fit thicker grips. Assuming you don't have wee little fingers, thicker grips will give you more leverage without causing any other problems.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You could also try lubing the cables, it might help a bit.

Comment

They really shouldn't be very hard to pull. I can't really notice any difference in pulling force between throttles on VM carbed, CV carbed or modern FI bikes. Maybe a slight difference that could be measured, but not something you would actually notice.
                      Something is wrong with your cable, or the spring, or something.
                      Have you looked under the tank to see if there is any poor routing or kinks?
                      Any cable adjusters come apart? Any old worn looking cables?
                      If the cables are worn internally, all the lube in the world won't free them up.
                      Also old lube which has collected a ton of dirt will bind them up.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions fellas,

I really am starting to love this bike. For the $$$, the GS's really can't be beat! Suzook did a really good job of copying the KZ's, and for the money I could have two GS's for one KZ and from 20 ft. away who can tell the diff?

Anyway, I am not done trying to figure out why the damn throttle is so horrendously stiff. I have been riding since 1996 and racing since 2003 (Now on a Ducati 848 and 2005 GSX-R1000) and have owned almost 30 different bikes of just about every design.

I have had a couple of "vintage" bikes, namely an '82 KZ1000J and a '74 CB450K7, and neither required the kind of effort it takes to keep the throttles open at any speed. I have had a couple of riding buddies try it out and they laugh and say "holy ****" when they see how hard it is to open the taps on the GS750. I just wonder if someone in the recent past has put a heavier spring on the carbs. I'm going to take the tank off tomorrow and see if everything is O.K. and then look into putting a 'softer' spring on,...if that is even an option.

Unfortunately, this throttle thing could be a deal breaker. If I can't find a way to lessen the pull on the taps, I may re-sell the bike. I like doing long distance rides of 10 hours in any one day, and this bike just simply not do with the amount of effort it takes. My hand starts to cramp at 1/2 an hour, so there is no way I could make it to St. Louis and back which is a run I often make.

Keep the suggestions coming guys, and if I find a solution, I'll post it up post-haste. For now here's a pic of my 'new' GS750.

Comment

Nice bike, it's easy stuff to fix. Cables or a spring, nothing to it.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I owned one of those new, and the situation you are describing clearly indicates a problem (duh). Since you going to have the tank off, I strongly suggest that you first remove the cables from the carbs.
                            Once off, twist the throttle and see how difficult it is to move the cables. It should be effortless. If not, remove the cables from the throttle. Try to slide the cable from within the housing. It should be effortless. If not, lube and try again. If still not, replace the cables.
                            If they do move effortlessly, put the throttle back together without the cables. Twist it. It should be effortless. If not, take it back apart and look for places it may be rubbing. Lube it a bit with some general grease. Try again.
                            To reiterate, take the carbs out of the equation first. If a problem is found, check the cables. If no problem found there, check the throttle itself. If no problem found there, it is the carbs themselves.
                            Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              I owned one of those new, and the situation you are describing clearly indicates a problem (duh). Since you going to have the tank off, I strongly suggest that you first remove the cables from the carbs.
                              Once off, twist the throttle and see how difficult it is to move the cables. It should be effortless. If not, remove the cables from the throttle. Try to slide the cable from within the housing. It should be effortless. If not, lube and try again. If still not, replace the cables.
                              If they do move effortlessly, put the throttle back together without the cables. Twist it. It should be effortless. If not, take it back apart and look for places it may be rubbing. Lube it a bit with some general grease. Try again.
                              To reiterate, take the carbs out of the equation first. If a problem is found, check the cables. If no problem found there, check the throttle itself. If no problem found there, it is the carbs themselves.
                              Best of luck.
                              What he said. Check the whole mechanism to see what's happening. I'd suggest something is binding somewhere .. maybe even just one of the cables is kinked or something. That is too nice a bike to sell without taking a good look first.
                              Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X