Hard throttle pull...?? HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K. fellas, here's the scoop.

There is some kind of interference at the throttle tube or right-side switch housing, or both. I completely disassembled the throttle mechanism, cables, and removed the spring from the carbs.

The "pull" cable was shot, and there is/was noticable resistance in the cable even when completely free of the bike. It was replaced with new. Next, the throttle/carb opening mechanism at the carb bank rotates freely. The "push" cable was free of any resistance, so I reused it. The switch housing and throttle tube rotates freely around the bar without cable hooked up, but snug down as if properly mounted. So far so good, and I was ruling everything out; one-at-a-time.

Here is what I believe is causing the problem: 1 - The throttle return spring is quite heavy. I wonder if someone has put an unusually heavy spring on the carb bank at some point within the past 32 years. I will be going to my local ACE Hardware tomorrow to find a lesser but similar return spring I can use. 2 - Once the throttle cables are secured back at the housing/tube juncture, and secured to the bar, there is very, very noticable drag at the throttle tube once the cables are tensioned. There is no housing-to-tube interference, but the bar underneath is corroded (but greased). I belive that the combination of an unusually heave return spring plus drag between the throttle tube and bar are causing my problems. I have a new chrome set of superbike bars to install, and with a lesser return spring I hope to have this problems solved!

My bike (pictured above) is a fantastic machine, especially for what I paid vs. a KZ900/1000 or CB750, and it would be a shame to sell it for this small, seemingly easy fix. I'll post more results tomorrow.

Trent

Comment

beautiful bike!
      i have used light grease on the throttle tube between the bar, but you might be best off with dry lube "graphite" , it will stay consistant, in cold weather
      im betting your cable angle is off a bit, right out of the tube area, keep them loose ,and see where there easiest pulling and returning, i had a similar prob with my kz1000, i also soaked cables in trans oil,so the weather wouldnt rust them "morning moisture ect..."
      also the routing is criticle for easiest angle! above the tank mount or under it, or on the left side of the frame, or right side, i tried a few different ways

Comment

Very nice bike
        Stick with it it cannot be anything huge.
        I agree with you the Suzuki was always a better machine.
        I have no idea why Kawasaki's command more money but for sure they do.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
        X