tach whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach whine

on my way to work this morning and pulled up to stop light and my tach was making a whining noise. is there a way to lubricate it? and if so how? couldn't find anything in my book.

Read this, it may help.....I prefer a nice Pinot Noir myself.....

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

ok. thanks. i'll try it before head home from work.

Comment

I cut mine open and lubed them with synthetic bicycle chain lube. I've been riding with no instruments for a while now... Time to add them on.

Comment

Accidentally posted the following reply to the old thread that was linked above.

Both my speedo and tach were making crazy loud noises and bouncing alot. I unscrewed the cables and sprayed some Liquid Wrench (blue-green can) up in where the cable goes, and it seemed to quiet them quite a lot, and significantly reduce the needle flutter. Not perfect, but much better.

I imagine that some more LW and time would further improve things as it gets worked in the mechanism.

I had similar success with WD-40 in a '92 Volkswagen Speedometer that was noisy in cold weather, and PB Blaster in another '92 Volkswagen's speedo. Although, the PB Blaster made the needle read super high for several days but then it settled into normal operation. Not sure why that happened, but it did.

Comment

Don't cut anything open, it's not necessary. Take the gauge off and turn it upside down. Shoot some spray grease in between the part that spins with the cable, and the part that the outer cable threads onto.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Gauge lube

I use a teflon based lube on my gauges and cables, TriFlow is a high pressure high rpm lube and is more stable and penetrates dry bushings rather well.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Don't cut anything open, it's not necessary. Take the gauge off and turn it upside down. Shoot some spray grease in between the part that spins with the cable, and the part that the outer cable threads onto.
                +1. That's the way.

And, if you take 'em out and invert 'em like that, you can use a 'square-drive' bit you find in universal bit driver kits in a drill to spin it and spray lube at the same time.

Works for me every time.

Kirk

Comment

Working...
                X