How to remove swingarm bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove swingarm bearings?

Hi all, ok monday Jennifer's frame goes in for powder coating, so in preperation I need to remove the swingarm bearing outer races, any ideas?
    No press, no dremel or grinder.
    GS1000G shaftie

tape them off

just masking tape them off and leave them in. if they are out the hole will fill with powder and you will need that grinder or dremel you dont have to clean out the holes to reinstall them. to answer your question if they need replaced, with a hammer and a 1/2 diameter steel rod about a foot long and a pair of heavy gloves "in case you miss", slide the rod thru one side of the swing arm hole and catch the rod on the oppisite races back side. lightly tap all around it and drive it out evenly. repeat the other side. to install, get a piece of 1/2 threaded rod and 2 nuts from lowes. also pick up a few large washers that are slightly larger then the races outside diameter. sandwich the entire assemble and using 2 wrenches tighten the nuts till the races are seated. this is a back yard way of doing it with basic tools and about $20 bucks. if you have a napa in your town or a decent auto parts store they will have a press and will press them in for next to nothing. hope this helps. cliff

Comment

Cliff thanks for the reply, yep, they are going to be replaced, they are 375 000 km old. Problem is the shafties swingarm is not open all the way through like a chain drive, the universal joint sits right there where the bearings are, and it is in cage type setup there is only a small hole through. Does not seem big enough to angle the rod through.

Comment

definitely do-able. I think pulled them out from the same side either with a crowbar method to pop all the way out, or maybe I had/made a tool with a lip that would catch the bearing and another place to hammer.

Can't remember, its been awhile.
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

If you have acess to a welding machine, you can weld a bead on the outer race where the inner race goes.
          The weld will shrink the cup a little.Aall you need to do after if to tap the swingarm on a bolck of hard wood and the cup will fall out.
          work everytime for me.
          Marc
          AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

Here is a thread I wrote up when I did mine. Maybe it will help.

Since then I have seen longer/thicker drifts at Sears that would have made this job easier.

Good luck!
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
              Here is a thread I wrote up when I did mine. Maybe it will help.

Since then I have seen longer/thicker drifts at Sears that would have made this job easier.

Good luck!
              Not quite the same on a shaftie
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Ok, had a good look today, there is a lot of space behind the race that can be got to with a small puller type thing, but I am just going to cut them in half with a Dremel and a little cutting disc it will be the easiest....so poor Jennifer is back on hold until after payday so I can go buy a Dremel.
                Damn, it sooooooo frustrating not having a workshop to work in.

Comment

Have you tried a slide hammer with a hook attachment?
                  It will more than likely destroy the bearings but, you were going to replace them anyway.

Daniel

Comment

Yes indeed, a sliding hammer set up would do the job there is plenty space behind the race to get a good grip.
                    Problem is, I don't have one, or the tools to fab one up so back to square one.
                    As it stands at the moment, I have a pretty good setup of hand tools, but no power tools, welder, gas bottles or even a vice.
                    So you can imagine how frustrating it is, there is only so much one can do without them, especially on a total restoration.
                    I should have known better to start the restoration without access to a full workshop, but seeing the bike just standing in the back of the garage for the last 4 years was just killing me.
                    So the first order of business is to slowly start putting a shop together, which also stings when I think it is money that I could be spending on the bike, and as we all know, money is not in great supply in these times.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      As it stands at the moment, I have a pretty good setup of hand tools, but no power tools, welder, gas bottles or even a vice.
                      So you can imagine how frustrating it is, there is only so much one can do without them, especially on a total restoration.
                      Check pawn shops and local Craigslist (even the free section) for all kinds of tools at great prices. No need to buy new if you dont have to.
                      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Working...
                      X