Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77' 750 Resurrection!!!

I've found a local deal on a GS750 but here's the scoop:

Last ran in 2005, was laid down "in the back yard" ever since, in the weather. Owner says it's got some ignition missing and knows very little about it other than that. The bike is DIRT cheap, and would make a great resurrection project. Here are my thoughts.

1.) clean out or replace gas Tank
    2.) replace fuel lines
    3.) sort out ignition items that are missing
    4.) Clean carburetors
    5.) Get motor running smooth, as well as transmission
    6.) yank anything un-necissary (looking to do a short chop or a bobber)
    7.) Replace tires, breaks, tail and headlight
    8.) re-title, road legalize, insure, inspect, and ride\

So oh great masses of GS Guru's out there, what would you suggest my plan of action would be? I'm looking to be as low budget as possible, Asthetics are the last thing on my mind. I'm handy with a wrench, but i'm wondering if there are specialty tools needed, how "in over my head" I would be, and what things in this kind of project i'd expect to run into. Thanks!!

Do it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just so you know..I have about 8 boxes full of 77 and 78 parts...Josh..( The Cafe Kid ) has quite a stash also..I got tailpieces, a few right side covers, like new rotors, a new rear brake master cylinder, all kinds of crap. Oh and two sweet tanks as well.. One has the stock paint still on it and one i have stripped and did the filler all ready..just needs to be finish sanded a bit and painted..not rusty inside either..paint and put on ..get it. I got mine for 200.00 a few years ago and it was my first bike project ever and she wins trophies at the shows..therers pics in my albums here. And just my opinion on the boober..since that year bike was suzukis first 4 stroker and was its answer to the hondas 750..historically its a pretty important bike and it will serve you better in the long run to get her back to stock and it will sell for alot later on down the road if you need the cash. But its yours if you jump on it so do as you wish..
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. monkeyexpress,

Given enough time, effort, and money, any machine can be resurrected. We're all partial to resurrecting GS machines. And most of the time it's pretty easy. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys!

Well, the "Cheapo craigslist bike" didn't pan out. someone swooped it before I got to go see it. Probably the cosmic universe telling me that a bike that costs 80$ may in fact be more of a headache than just buying one a bit better. I'm still looking for a GS to ride, but it seems that people want an arm and a leg down here for them (as if having a title automatically makes it worth a grand and a half.) oh well. Still searching for the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyexpress View Post
            ...seems that people want an arm and a leg down here for them (as if having a title automatically makes it worth a grand and a half.) oh well. Still searching for the right one.
            You should put your location in your profile so we know where "down here" is...

Someone may know of a bike that suits you....
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Hah Logical enough. I live in Texas. haven't had much time to search around the forums much, just got out of the ER for a nice gash and a Tetanus shot. Gah.

Comment

Working...
              X