Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil filter change not happening. Acorn nut spinning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter change not happening. Acorn nut spinning?

I'm on my last acorn nut and the thing just doesn't want to come off. It's about half way lose but just keeps spinning there. I've tried to add some pressure behind the oil filter cap but I don't have enough leverage.

Any suggestions for getting that acorn nut off without ruining anything?

I'm going to try and get some oil into/around the nut and wait a bit.

I'd really like to get that oil filter out b/c the oil from PO was REAL black and I want that oil filter replaced out if at all possible.

Thanks.

Well.....if it's just spinning, it's already ruined. You'll never get it tightened again.

Order up some new studs and acorn nuts, they're pretty cheap. When you put the cover back on, don't use gorilla torque when tightening it. That cover doesn't need a whole lot of tightening to keep it from leaking.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yes, I'm assuming it's likely ruined but how do I get it OFF? :-)
      I was going to try and avoid puling the entire exhaust off but if I need to yank this thing somehow then I might have no choice.

My other alternative is just to leave it all as-is for now and put my new oil in anyhow and tighten things up. Good chance that toward the spring I'll do another oil change and bby then amass all the parts I need to fix.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      Well.....if it's just spinning, it's already ruined. You'll never get it tightened again.

Order up some new studs and acorn nuts, they're pretty cheap. When you put the cover back on, don't use gorilla torque when tightening it. That cover doesn't need a whole lot of tightening to keep it from leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessguy View Post

Any suggestions for getting that acorn nut off without ruining anything?
        Cut it off with a Dremel or angle grinder. Replace the studs, use new nuts, they don't need to be acorns unless you are like Ed...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That actually just happened to me a couple of weeks ago on my 550E... the end of the stud under the acorn nut was stripped, & a ridge of thread was caught up under the nut. just kept spinning... and spinning & spinning.

I put the other 2 filter cover nuts back on to hold the cover down, then used a long flat bladed screwdriver to "pry" the nut away from the cover while spinning it with socket.

I was hoping the nut would simply pull off the stud end, but it worked even better - the nut jammed itself onto the stud end & the whole stud backed out of the crankcase! I bought a new stud from the local dealer (in-stock & about a buck) & threaded it in with blue thread locker. New SS acorn nuts from the hardware staore & good to go!!

BTW - I did this with the exhaust on.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

You can also use a pair of needle nosed vice grips and twist and pull out at the same time..the studs are easy to replace once that nut is off..
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Argh. Couldn't get it.

My 4/1 Street exhaust doesn't give me enough clearance to get at the 6 O'clock acorn and I'm working at a funny angle. I ended up just tightening all the other screws back on and leaving the old oil filter in for now. Not happy about that.

Doing most of my work out on the driveway as I don't have a good indoor space to be wrenching. I'll try and tackle that acorn nut when I dismantle the exhaust.

I bought a motorcycle/ATV lift but it looks like my sidewinder actually gets in the way of using it. Anyone else out there run into this problem? DO I need to dismount the entire exhaust just to use the lift ? (Looks like I may end up doing that anyway)Is it safe to position the list under the oil pan or do I need to find a way to get under both sides of the frame? Any thoughts???
              Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I run a V&H sidewinder on my bike.This pipe clear all the filter cover.you can work this area with the pipe on.The bottom clearance is the same.The pipe is higher than the oil pan or the frame tube.
                you probably have a street 4 into 1.
                Marc
                street V&H

V&H side winder

V&H propipe
                AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

Yup, others have mentioned the same thing so I've made some corrections on my other posts.

Does anyone know if the sidewinders fit different model bikes or if I need to find an exact match for my 100EZ? Anyone have a part number? I'll keep searching online too.

Thanks.

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                  I run a V&H sidewinder on my bike.This pipe clear all the filter cover.you can work this area with the pipe on.The bottom clearance is the same.The pipe is higher than the oil pan or the frame tube.
                  you probably have a street 4 into 1.
                  Marc
                  street V&H

V&H side winder

V&H propipe

Comment

WKPMT offered one in the other post.The V&H suzuki gs sidewinder fit almost all gs 750 and up.The number for a new one is 12001P.
                    Marc
                    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                    1978 GS1000C X2
                    1978 GS1000E X2
                    1979 GS1000S
                    1979 gs1000
                    1983 gs400e

Comment

Yep, I just notoiced that it looks like he may have both the street and sidewinder units and PM'd.

I had seen that part number online but it was unclear to me if that was for a 'sidewinder' most sites list it as a Pro but don't mention anything else.

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                      WKPMT offered one in the other post.The V&H suzuki gs sidewinder fit almost all gs 750 and up.The number for a new one is 12001P.
                      Marc

Comment

Working...
                      X