oil where it shouldn't be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil where it shouldn't be...

Took the timing cover off the right side of my '81 1000G last night and there was the slightest amount of oil pooled at the bottom of that recess below the timing plate. Is my right side main seal leaking ever so slightly?
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Yep .
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I believe bwringer has written on that project. IIRC, there was some trickiness regarding which direction to install the seal.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        I believe bwringer has written on that project. IIRC, there was some trickiness regarding which direction to install the seal.
        Yep.

Easy to replace, but the new seal has to go in what looks like "backwards", with the metal side facing out. Guess how I know this now... I built an engine with the crank seal the wrong way around. DOH! It lasted about 10,000 miles somehow.

Anyway, after removing all the ignition stuff, I levered the old seal out with a big screwdriver, then pulled the new one in with a big socket and a long 8mm bolt and nut threaded into the crankshaft. Pretty standard seal replacement if you've done much wrenching on cars. Easier to get to than on most cars, really.

I believe I coated the outside of the new seal with a bit of case sealer just in case. And, of course, I made sure the seal bore was nice and clean and dry.

The seal is marked with a tiny little arrow showing the direction of rotation. Make sure you respect the arrow...

No rush -- these engines don't use any oil pressure, so it's not going to turn into a gusher suddenly.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Do Nuthin'

I've noticed the same thing; I'd leave it alone.
          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I won't mess with it unless it starts to drip on the outside. I guess for now I can just periodically take the cover off and clean it out.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I guess for now I can just take the cover off periodically and clean it out. I won't mess with the seal unless oil starts to drip on the outside.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Sorry for the stutter. Computer messed with me.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                X