My '81 GS850G and '82 GS1100G -- gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '81 GS850G and '82 GS1100G -- gaskets

I have a mechanic about 25 miles north of me who cannot seem to do a base gasket and head gasket replacement on these bikes and get it right. They inevitably start leaking again soon after the "work." Does anyone know of something this guy is overlooking? Yup, I did get him to use Suzuki replacement gaskets. ????

-- Bill

Is he using new o-rings with the new gaskets?

Chris

Comment

Where, exactly, is it leaking from? If you care to reveal this information, it would help a lot to pinpoint the problem. There are lots of ways to screw this up.

He may not be spending the hours and hours and hours and hours it takes to get all the old gaskets off without damaging the surface. I don't see how you could actually do this right if you're paid by the hour.

The hardest part if you're just doing the top end is getting the old base gasket off the bottom end -- you can't use a Roloc or surfacing disk because the abrasive will go down into the engine, and the pistons and studs are constantly in the way.

Or, if you're not very careful with a Roloc or surfacing disk, you can remove too much aluminum.

When it's time to reinstall the block, it can be very difficult to do this without damaging the base gasket. Another common mistake is slopping some sort of sealer on the gaskets. They go on dry, but some people have habits that are hard to break...

It's also possible to leave out the locating pins at the corners of the block and/or head, or leave out the o-rings at the rear corners of the base gasket, or leave out the seals at the corners of the head gasket.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Reference:
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Stud stretch? I've seen it on honda bikes with cap nuts.

Comment

OP seems to have vanished...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

[QUOTE=bwringer;1304302]
              It's also possible to leave out the locating pins at the corners of the block QUOTE]
              This is one problem I am way too familiar with....It is extremely aggravating to get the whole thing back together only to look over and see those dowels sitting on the workbence. Grrrrrrr!
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

[QUOTE=ddaniels;1309228]
                Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                It's also possible to leave out the locating pins at the corners of the block QUOTE]
                This is one problem I am way too familiar with....It is extremely aggravating to get the whole thing back together only to look over and see those dowels sitting on the workbence. Grrrrrrr!
                That is the kind of situation where the parts book is as valuable as the manual for reassembly. This is a job I need to take up eventually, and I'm not looking forward too it either. I'm told that OEM gaskets are the best. I think a whole OEM top end gasket set is close to a hundred bucks.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Biggest expense is the head gasket. Last time I bought one, which was probably about 12 years ago, it was around $50.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    NOOOO! Say it isn't so!

Comment

Working...
                    X