Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs750 fuel tank removal

Hello all,

Complete noob here and Im thinking my fuel tank has been the main source of all my problems. Im going to remove it and clean it out and line it.

I was just wondering, do I take the seat off, then remove that bolt at the rear of the tank under the seat and then disconnect the lines and Im good to go? Or are there more bolts and other connectors that I need to worry about?

Also does anyone have suggestions on a reasonable somewhat easy to use product to clean and line the tank to prevent future problems?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

That's it, one bolt. What's in the tank that needs cleaning?
    Cleaning it is good, lining it should be considered a last resort.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

remove the seat..it will give you more wiggle room once the bolt is out..remove the bolt and then reach up under the petcock to remove the fuel line and the vaccuum line. Then wiggling the tank backward it will come off the two front rubber mounts and then just lift it off
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thank you for your responses gentlemen. Just wanted to make sure before I F'd it up.

Tkent- I assume its got some good rust in there since it sat sooooo long with a half empty tank, I assume its also the reason my carbs keep getting screwed up. Should I just clean it and NOT line it? Any good suggestions on the cleaning process?

Comment

Lots of methods, acid, electrolysis, Evap O Rust or equivalent products. Do some searches on here, there are several threads on all of them. I prefer electrolysis, as it's damn near free, does not alter the steel so it wants to rust again, and it's cool to use science instead of buying more stuff. First thing you need to do is find out how bad your tank is, are there any rust holes, how badly it's rusted or is it just old gas residue screwing things up. Put the gas somewhere, remove the petcock and fuel gauge sending unit, look inside with a good light.

Unless you will be letting the bike sit idle in a humid environment, there is no need to line the tank. Keep gas in it, ride it often, it won't rust.
          Last edited by tkent02; 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Unless you will be letting the bike sit idle in a humid environment, there is no need to line the tank. Keep gas in it, ride it often, it won't rust.
            Hi,

This has proven true for me. When I replaced my tank after my wreck, I cleaned it with Evapo-Rust and have been riding ever since. My replacement tank was not in bad shape to begin with so I did not line it with anything. For those severely rusted tanks, if you feel you may not have gotten all the rust out, coating the tank can give you peace of mind.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

regular white vinegar soaking in it for a few days will eat the rust out too..
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X