Gasket Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket Sealant

Just put a new valve cover gasket on, but I am finding a couple very slight oil leaks. I plan to inspect the valve cover and see what's going on, but I doubt the new gasket itself has any damage.

Should I use a liquid sealant in addition to the gasket? I have a tube of this stuff:

It seems more of a gasket replacement than a sealer. It also sucks to use, is goopy, messy, etc.

What other products might work to tighten up that seal? A coat of grease? Something else?

TIA

Hi,

On my OEM valve cover gasket I used only WD40 or axle grease. Even without using a sealer they are hard to scrape off the next time you adjust the valves. When you torque it down, start in the middle and work your way out. Don't over-torque, you can split the gasket or warp the cover.

Now I use Real Gaskets silicone rubber (reusable) gaskets on the valve cover and breather.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 11-05-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't use any sealer either. I'd check both mating surfaces of the head and valve cover are completely smooth and clear of old gasket residue and then I smear a new gasket with grease (or WD40).

You may find the leaks will stop over time too. I wouldn't sweat a valve cover leak too much.
      1979 GS750E

Comment

The drips hit the exhaust head and smoke a bit. Want to tighten up the seal to make sure that is the only cause of the smoke. Thanks.

Comment

Sure it's not dripping from the tach cable fitting?

I've also seen the forward cam chain guide pop up a bit and push the gasket out of the way. This is usually a pretty nasty leak, though.

Be very careful with further tightening -- those bolts are made from cheddar cheese...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X