Adjusting valves... one problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting valves... one problem

Im trying to adjust the valve on my gs 700 however, the lock nuts wont move and I cant find a proper fitting wrench to fit around them. 10mm too big, 8mm too small, all metric dont fit... what am I doing wrong??

Have you... umm... tried a 9mm socket?

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
      Hi.

What valves are we talking about? I cannot think of a lock nut anywhere when ajusting my admission and exaust valves.

DP
      I think he may be referring to the 16 valve configuration. Where there is no shim just an adjuster screw with a locknut.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        I think he may be referring to the 16 valve configuration. Where there is no shim just an adjuster screw with a locknut.
        That would be correct.

And yes, it is a 9 mm socket that is necessary.

For turning the adjusters, once you get the locknuts loose, use a drywall screw with a square-drive head that is turned into the end of a wooden dowel. The dowel needs to be at least 1/2" diameter and several inches long.

Just in case you have not seen it, there is a write-up on BassCliff's site that details the 16-valve adjustment.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

If you like, Motion Pro sells a tappet tool set:

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys I got it done, fitting the 9mm socket I had was quite difficult on the 2 & 3 cylinders. Any clues to where I can find some new OEM bolts for the valve cover other than the prices that are ridiculous online so far?

Comment

I got my valve cover bolts from a local nuts and bolts store I`m sure San Diego should have a few stores like that .

Comment

Originally posted by John Mellencamp View Post
                I got my valve cover bolts from a local nuts and bolts store I`m sure San Diego should have a few stores like that .
                Ive gone a few places and no one can really find anything that has the same design as the stock ones, little flare especially the bigger bolts on the center of the valve cover. I have a 5mm allen bolt with 2 washers on one right now that sticks about 3" above the rest and looks tacky.

Comment

Only need one?Send me a PM and I will send you one for shipping.

Comment

The oil cooed GSXRs & Katanas use the same bolts, just not in chrome. Ray.

Comment

I did not know that, looks like I know what I'll be doing monday morning. Do you know by chance the size of hardware needed for the front fender of a 700, PO didnt have it hooked up and I don't want to search all day at Lowes tomorrow.

Comment

Hi,

#9 NUT, TAPPET ADJUSTING
                        12843-27A00 (replaces 12843-49210)

...is $1.73 at www.partshark.com.

Just in case you wanted OEM.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                        X