Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Sizes

Hello all,

I have a strange chain question for you. I have tried googling this question but cannot come up with a definite answer. Do all 530 chains have the same size bearing? The reason I ask is that last night I went to put on my new chain, and alas it was too short by two links.

I then tried to add two links to the chain via two master links of almost new 530 (300 miles on the old chain). The two master links were different. The new chain has a slightly smaller bore in the bearing? All other dimensions are the same however, length, width, etc....so I know it's a 530.

Crazy?

Different chains have different pin diameters, and plate widths, thus the overall width can vary slightly. What's common is the roller diameter, roller width, and the distance between pins.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

By definition, a 530 chain is 5/8" from pin to pin and 3/8" across the inside plates.

Beyond that, the overall width may be different, depending on size and shape of the o-ring (if any), but the basics remain constant.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok

Then why does one master link fit, and the other not. Both are 530 master links???

Scott

Comment

In which direction does it not fit?

If it's width, one is long enough to handle and o-ring chain, the other is not.

The pitch (distance from pin to pin) should be the same on all 530 chains.

If the pin won't go in the hole, it's just a characteristic of that chain's bushings.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The pin won't go into the hole. I guess that's just the difference between a chain from one manufacturer and another. I just went to the local shop and he handed me two different master links, both 530's - non oring types and they didn't match up with one another. He did have one that matched my chain. Going to go put it on now....

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post
              The reason I ask is that last night I went to put on my new chain, and alas it was too short by two links.
              SCOTTY, I would have to ask why was the new chain short by two links. Did you not check the number of links required before you purchased the chain. Or did you shorten the chain before doing a trial fit on the bike. I would not ever fit two master links to a chain and I would rivet any master links on a chain.

Comment

Yes, I went with the Stock Katana measurement when ordering the chain. I am using a 600F swingarm on my GS450, and that didn't pan out to a 118. It was more like a 120. I knew better, but made a mistake when ordering. ALWAYS order a little bit longer than you think you need.

Comment

Good luck. I would truly hesitate to run 2 master links, but I understand your position. I dislike riveted links, but in your case I would rivet at least one of them.

Comment

Ok

NO worries, I will throw in a tack weld on each master. Why do you consider running two links bad? Have you ever had a chain fail at the master? Curious, because I haven't, but then again, I don't ride really hard or for long distances.

Scott
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I have never had one fail, although I did lose one once in the early 70s because I put the lock on backwards.
                      To coin a phrase, the master link is the weak link in the chain. Think of it this way: All the other links were assembled in a factory, on a machine, under very controlled conditions. The master, OTOH, is assembled by hand, usually in someone's garage or driveway. You can't duplicate the factory conditions or accuracy in your driveway, no matter how good you are.
                      And I prefer one "normal" master link in case I need to remove the chain for some reason, whatever it may be. A correctly assembled normal master link on a properly maintained chain will not fall off or fail, even on a 110 hp machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X