Oil pressure Gauge wiring to a bike without one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Okay sounds good. Now please explain the purpose of the VR in the gauge circuit? I assume it's to slow down response of the fuel gauge, but how does it work?

Ed

wisgolfer59 has got it mostly all right (except "induction" ). I think all three devices are thermal and it is heat in bimetallic springs that cause the needles to deflect as well as the contacts. It has the same kind of needle deflection mechanism as a bourdon tube pressure sensor.

I say this because Bill and i worked on his guages one night when he was here. I was surprised at how slow the VR operated. It is a thermally controlled bimetalic spring. At night we could see it sparking as it opened and closed. By running some emery cloth through the contacts we were able to remove some corrosion and the sparking reduced and the needle deflection from the VR ON/OFF was also reduced.

The VR is to keep the voltage to the top of the gauge more stable than the charging voltage.

Comment

I bow to the wisdom of the collective......I didn't make the analogy to Bourdon tubes

Comment

Working...
      X