Speedo drive and gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo drive and gauges

Hey all, so the bike is running well but there's a bunch of nickel and dime crap I need to do. Just when I hit around San Diego my speedometer died on me again, I suspect it's the drive again as spinning the front wheel didn't turn the cable at all. Meanwhile when I was doing work with Tom203 we took out the tach drive so I don't have that running either. Last straw has been the gas gauge now no longer works. Basically what I'm thinking about now is just replacing the whole cluster with some kind of a more modern aftermarket speedometer anybody know of any that are compatible or recommended for fits etc? Additionally I need a speedo drive to drop in as well. Any leads or recommendations or even anyone who wants to sell some parts let me know. Thanks as always for anything you guys can do. 1981 GS650L.

Are you sure the cable itself didn't break again? Take a small screwdriver and try to turn it. If it turns freely than maybe yea it's the drive
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Cronos View Post
      Hey all, so the bike is running well but there's a bunch of nickel and dime crap I need to do.
      You can count on it! When you replaced speedo cable, did you check to make sure drive was free to turn ( you would have to remove front axle to check)? Wait -did you replace cable or drive unit??? Old cables (speedo, tach, clutch , etc.) are always suspect to wear- just replace to avoid problems.
      If you went to Basscliff's site, you'd find a link to check fuel gauge problems. Hint-if the two wires going to tank sending unit are joined together (wire, paper clip) and ignition is on fuel gauge should move to FULL.
      Not to cause negative vibes, but have you ever checked your charging system while confronting all these other events?
      Glad to hear that the bike is basically running well- did you ever tell us the bike's history/ mileage?? enjoy
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X