Horrible MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible MPG

I got a 78 gs1000, when I got it it barley ran, it was sitting for a long time. I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, rinsed out the gas tank a little bit, and it has seemed to run alright. I have been driving the bike on the freeway, but having never driven a similar bike I don't really know what to expect, but it doesn't seem to have too much power. I have been getting about 18-20 mpg on the bike, I do drive aggressively and in lots of traffic but couldn't imagine it being that bad. I haven't been able to get the bike much past 80.

What do you think I should do to the bike to get it running strong, or do you think I shouldn't expect much more?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ceccorp,

You should expect much more. You'll find a couple of maintenance lists and links to the proper procedures in your "mega-welcome" below. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome to the boards. I would start with a valve adjustment. Did you completely strip the carbs and soak them in carb dip? Just spraying them with carb cleaner wont do you much good. Also replace all the orings in there. Then do a good carb sync and that might take care of the problem.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Yeah, valves come to mind for sure, assuming you did like kparkfan asked and totally pulled them apart, dipped, scrubbed and replaced the o-rings. Also, make sure your (new) plugs are correctly gapped. What color are they now that you've been riding it?

You might also want to do a compression check on the engine. I got a really cheap tester from Harbor Freight - under $10. If your compression is bad then you've got some work to do, but lots of people here to help you through it.

Yes, you should expect much, much more from a GS1000!!!

Comment

For the engine to get such poor mileage it must be running super rich. If the bike has been modified with aftermarket goodies (exhaust and/or pod air filters) maybe someone went too rich on the jetting? Another possibility is the the floats in the carbs are sticking and the fuel level is too high, and/or the petcock could also be leaking down the vacuum line and into the engine.

Before attempting to put a 30+ year old vehicle on the road a little maintenance is in order. A full carb tear down with new O-rings is standard procedure, along with a valve adjustment, fluids change, new plugs/point, ect. Check the carb jets against the manual specs to see if they have been modified. Once you build up a solid base of good maintenance then you can start to hone in on those little problems that crop up (like poor mileage).

Good luck and welcome to the GSR.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Check the valves and syncronize the carbs.
            But first... Is your idle okay? Does the bike vibrate a lot?
            (it's going to vibrate pretty good, but I mean excessively)

Excessive vibration in the handle bars and loss of power usually means the valves need to be done.
            (atleast it did in my bike)
            Vibration in the bike itself usually means the carbs needa be synced.
            Because the pistons are fighting each other.

It's also possible your just running really really lean.
            I know my 650 gets really weak when it runs lean and dry

it's really hard to diagnose without looking at it.
            If you look in the owners manual, there's like 20 different things that can all cause the same symptoms! Lol

sometimes the problem can be something stupid as a throttle cable problem or whatever.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Just to give you some idea of what you should have, that bike should go 130 something mph and get 40 something MPG, although probably not at the same time. It should accelerate hard any time you open the throttle, especially above about 6,500 RPM.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My 78 100 C has been up to 120 and doing around 65 i have been averaging 36.4 mpg..running above 75 drops it down to around 27. Not saying hes wrong or right, just relaying my findings on my bike..and at 120 i still had throttle left, just knew that back tire was bald and backed off it.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-22-2010, 05:57 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  My 78 100 C has been up to 120 and doing around 65 i have been averaging 36.4 mpg..running above 75 drops it down to around 27.
                  Tuning, tuning.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Also check the petcock if its the same as the petcocks in the gs1100's mine was leaking into cylinder two , since thats where the vacuum pulled from and caused horrible gas mileage along with number two cylinder not running under 3k rpm. Just something else to look at. I tested mine by pulling the vacuum tube from the carb and sucking on it (Lightly) to see if any gas came out. This would show a leak in the diaphram inside the petcock.

Comment

Just did the valves and reset the pilots and air screws properly. Also put in new intake orings. Thing is i just cant help twisting the throttle past 80ish on the highway..no matter how well tuned, she is gonna drink gas faster than if your doing 60. Petcockm isfine and not leaking or functioning abnormally.
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

I wonder of the original poster gave up on his bike?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I hope not..too easy to fix once you understand it all.

Comment

I hope not too. Unless he's close to me.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

dont know his location..never added it.

Comment

Working...
                              X