Gasket options ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket options ....

After having case covers powder coated I'll be reinstalling - do any of the covers require an actual gasket vs RTV - Looks like the clutch cover had one so I'm assuming it should be replaced (?) , obviously chain guard doesnt require , etc. Thanks.

Umm, this is on a Honda 50 Cub, right?

Seriously, it would be nice to know for the information to be the most accurate. On my GS both the clutch cover and the stator cover have gaskets. The sprocket cover does not nor does the ignition cover.

Comment

My bad ..... 81 GS1100 - stator cover had RTV only when i removed, I can see why clutch may need a gasket, but thought I'd ask .......

Comment

No Rtv, or silicone, or much of any gasket sealer. Rtv will squeeze past sealing area and can contaminate oil. It doesn't always stay in place and tends to leak.

Just clean surfaces and use new gaskets. I oil my gaskets, some will put them on dry. Head gaskets go on dry. I have made my own gaskets from roll stock gasket material available from automotive stores.

Comment

O.K., your engine is the same as mine. You have a gasket on the stator cover because the stator is oil-cooled. Apparently someone did not have a gasket and used RTV instead. Not a good choice, and if done, it should have been remedied ASAP.
          As waterman stated, all gaskets should go on dry, no sealer of any type should be used.

Comment

I would add to use OEM gaskets if at all possible. They're inexpensive and you know they are correct.

The thickness of the gasket is important, and there are people out there with shops and on eBay selling very thin, very poor quality gaskets.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I just took apart my engine, and the stator cover on mine just had RTV on it to. When I pulled the oil pan I found chunks of the RTV sitting in it. And when they tightened the cover down, it smashed all the RTV out and what was left was just a thin film, I'm surprised it held any oil back. One good kick probably would have broke the seal.

Any good tips for removing stubborn pieces of gasket? I tried a Dremel, but I've yet to find a brush for it that will actually make a dent in anything, got a few more to try though, the wire ones suck. I hate to put on a new gasket with gunk and gasket bits left on there, but I can't find a good way to get whats left off.

Comment

Originally posted by Do Little View Post
                I just took apart my engine, and the stator cover on mine just had RTV on it to. When I pulled the oil pan I found chunks of the RTV sitting in it. And when they tightened the cover down, it smashed all the RTV out and what was left was just a thin film, I'm surprised it held any oil back. One good kick probably would have broke the seal.

Any good tips for removing stubborn pieces of gasket? I tried a Dremel, but I've yet to find a brush for it that will actually make a dent in anything, got a few more to try though, the wire ones suck. I hate to put on a new gasket with gunk and gasket bits left on there, but I can't find a good way to get whats left off.
                Diligence and a sharp wood chisel or razor blade knife.

Comment

Stator cover gasket is very important !!! Their should be a thrust washer on both sides of the idler gear- the gasket gives it the necessary clearance. If one of the washers is missing it could cause a rattle in the motor. Failure to use a gasket could cause the idler gear to bind and cause starter problems

Comment

Working...
                  X