No announcement yet.

Parts source for 1982 Suzuki GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You probably won't need to replace the Float Bowl gaskets that sandwich between the bowl edges and carbs.

You can usually keep re-using them.

Mine are dry as crap, been hit with carb cleaner 100 times, they still hold,.

I DO have a replacement set from Mikuni(expensive too)
    ------

I have an 82 650 as well.

You might want to order all new screws for the Carbs too!
    (16 on top, and 16 on bottom.)
    It's your choice if you feel the need to replace the Carb Rail screws....mine were still in good shape.

The stock ones are zinc and steel mix I believe, they tend to be VERY stubborn when taking apart the carbs.
    People tend to over-tighten them, then they get covered in oil over the years, and the phillips heads strip VERY easily.
    The good part about zinc is, the threads don't hurt anything, and it's easy to re-shape the heads if they get stripped.
    You gotta use a ton of force, or use a Driver to get em loose.

I went to Lowes and bought all new Steel screws.
    For the bottom screws I replaced them with steel Phillips, and they require a bigger screw driver to take out, so they don't strip.

For the top 16 screws, I used socket screws, all I need is a 1/4 inch socket wrench, and a 5mm or 7mm socket....can't remember, haha.

A lot of people go with Allen screws or whatever THEY tend to like.
    Either way, ANYTHING is better than the factory ones!

Also, IMPORTANT!!!!

When you tighten new steel screws down, tighten them until they are Snug, they just maybe a 1/4 more turn or so.
    They don't need be super tight, just snug 'em and a little more, that's it.
    Trust me, they won't leak, lol.
    The threads on these carbs are sort of delicate, so ya gotta be a little careful with steel screws.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Yes - i need to replace the screws, as I had to use a driver to remove some of them. What a PITA....

Comment

Hi,

Check this out...

Valve Adjustments (8 Valve)

CV carb rebuild series

Air Intake Repair

Carb Notes:
        Synchronizing/Troubleshooting/Theory

Carb Specs:
        Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

All from your "mega-welcome" and stored on my little website. These should give you and idea of the procedures involved.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
          Yes - i need to replace the screws, as I had to use a driver to remove some of them. What a PITA....
          Ya have to use an driver to remove ALL the intake screws.
          Might have to use an extention on the driver.
          And you are correct PITA!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Well, after checking prices, DGY turned out to have the best deal on most of the stuff I needed.

I also ordered from cycleorings.com for the carb orings, intake orings, intake screws, and float bowl drain orings.

Let the project begin! I will go to fastenal or the hardware store to pick up screws for the carb tops/bottoms.

Thanks for all the help, gents!

Comment

Quick question: which carburetor fuel/air jets on the GS650 are sensitive to how many turns they are installed?

Thanks!

Comment

Forgot to post these photos on how to support the float tower before driving out the pin.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X