Reuse valve cover gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reuse valve cover gasket?

Anybody do this if it comes off cleanly? I'ver reused rubber ones, but never a paper one.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

I have reused them when they came off cleanly on one side but remained stuck on the head. They didn't leak much at all. I had a new one, but it is such a bitch to get it off of the head, and to pick the shards out of there.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

If it comes off cleanly why not?
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If it comes off cleanly, I've managed up to 3 re-uses, usually starts to weep after that.

Comment

Some here have talked about greasing one side of the gasket to make sure it separates, but I'm not sure what grease to use. I tried it with bearing grease with only limited success.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            Some here have talked about greasing one side of the gasket to make sure it separates, but I'm not sure what grease to use. I tried it with bearing grease with only limited success.
            When I installed the one currently on there, I put axle grease on both sides. I haven't tried taking the cover off yet. We'll see what happens.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Even if it doesnt come off cleanly you can just use a bead of three bond all the way around ( very thin bead ) and reapply. On my 77 750 there isnt even a stator cover gasket at all..just a bead of three bond and she hasnt leaked in 2 years now. Thing is that in areas that arent subjected to actual oil PRESSURE and just need a seal to prevent leakage, such as the cam covers, the three bond is all that is needed.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I read to spray with WD-40, which is what I used.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

No problem reusing it. All it takes is a coat of oil, wd40 to make it reusable. BE carefull. Stator cover should have a gasket. IF not someone has left out a thrust washer on the starter idler gear, that could cause an unknown noise

Comment

I did the same...sprayed both sides of a new gasket with WD-40 and have reused it many times for several years. Learned that trick here.

Comment

On my '80 GS1100L the valve cover had a chronic leak in front of the cam chain. Apparently from '82 up they put two more bolts in that area to correct it; but just a new gasket on mine, OEM Suzuki or otherwise, wouldn't stop it.
                      At the start of this season, I hung the old gasket on the wall (used grease when I installed it, so it's still in one piece.), cleaned the surfaces with mineral spirits and used RTV black and no gasket. I rode about 1500 miles this season without a leak from there; but I did find I'm leaking elswhere - probably the o-rings on the head bolts I reused last two times I had the head off.
                      It's amazing what a big mess a little drip could make; but still, much smaller than the mess I dealt with last year. Nonetheless - I'll have to leave the white pants at home until I get around to fixing the other leak.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                        I read to spray with WD-40, which is what I used.
                        Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        All it takes is a coat of oil, wd40 to make it reusable.
                        Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        I did the same...sprayed both sides of a new gasket with WD-40 and have reused it many times for several years. Learned that trick here.
                        Yep, this is one of those few times when WD-40 is THE perfect item to use.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I hope my grease application had the same good effect as WD-40 apparantly has.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

As long as it was a very thin layer, it will probably be OK.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Yep, this is one of those few times when WD-40 is THE perfect item to use.

Not doubting, but what makes it so?
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X