Potential New Bike Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential New Bike Issues

So I just looked at a possible replacement for my dear departed 650. The bike in question is a 1982 1100gl, The bike is extremely clean, has been sitting in an aircraft hanger for about a month so it took a little while to start but when it did it was firing on all four cylinders. As it was sitting and warming up I found a popping noise coming from the right muffler. After sitting and idling for a few minutes I took the bike around a little bit and there seemed to be some hesitancy from take off. Also when I let off the throttle and let the engine slow the bike there was a rattle from the engine area. The only other issue the owner was aware of was a minor leak from the right fork seal. The rattle he believes is attributed to the cam chain tensioner. Any advice tips etc are appreciated as well as possible cost to fix these issues so I can factor that into my bargaining. The guy is wanting 1500 for this. Linked below are some pics of the bike.

Im not sure what gas you have in your area, but here in Louisville its reformulated. In about a months time it will gum up a pilot jet in heartbeat. A good cleaning and check the needle jets while your there, check the float bowl gaskets.

Comment

Where is it at, if you want I may be able to make a trip to check it out with you.

As far as I've experienced, the noise you hear should usually occur only when engine braking thru certain RPM ranges since the cam chain will be taught under certain loads. Its a known issue on other bikes such as Honda with a PAIR valve.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronos View Post
        So I just looked at a possible replacement for my dear departed 650. The bike in question is a 1982 1100gl, The bike is extremely clean, has been sitting in an aircraft hanger for about a month so it took a little while to start but when it did it was firing on all four cylinders. As it was sitting and warming up I found a popping noise coming from the right muffler. After sitting and idling for a few minutes I took the bike around a little bit and there seemed to be some hesitancy from take off. Also when I let off the throttle and let the engine slow the bike there was a rattle from the engine area. The only other issue the owner was aware of was a minor leak from the right fork seal. The rattle he believes is attributed to the cam chain tensioner. Any advice tips etc are appreciated as well as possible cost to fix these issues so I can factor that into my bargaining. The guy is wanting 1500 for this. Linked below are some pics of the bike.
        Air screws?
        Air screws?
        Clutch nut?

Daniel

Comment

I have a master ex-racer here with me Legendary Steve Miles, my hero,
          tells me that the clutch hub is more than likely your rattle. Know for the spring in the back of the hub to get weak and crushed, makes it rattle at idle or no load. Really needs to be taken down to verify, also the cam chain tension could be the source. I checked at Tucker Rocky and they have a K and L carb kit with everything you need for $28.99 per carb. On your fork seals I would stay with Suzuki parts, most others dont hold up.

Comment

bike looks well cared for; paint is not stock but is very tasteful.

Some of the 8V guys will know better, but some times the 8V have some cam slop. What is the mileage, maintenace history, was it restored?

Comment

the current owner has only had it for about 6 months or so and has only put 300 miles on it in that time (for shame). The previous owner had bought it from the BMW dealer here in San Diego near Clairemont Mesa. Those are the only two owners I know of. He hasn't done a compression test or put new plugs on it in his time. I'm wondering if the bike just wasn't fully warm to cause the hesitancy, I blanked and forgot to see if the carb air screws had been tweaked yet or not. Overall if I were to pick this up and everything functioned properly aside from the issues I've mentioned, what do you think I would drop in repairs?

Comment

the current owner has only had it for about 6 months or so and has only put 300 miles on it in that time (for shame). The previous owner had bought it from the BMW dealer here in San Diego near Clairemont Mesa. Those are the only two owners I know of. He hasn't done a compression test or put new plugs on it in his time. I'm wondering if the bike just wasn't fully warm to cause the hesitancy, I blanked and forgot to see if the carb air screws had been tweaked yet or not. Overall if I were to pick this up and everything functioned properly aside from the issues I've mentioned, what do you think I would drop in repairs?
                Pull one of the plugs after running it at idle, then you might have an idea how the air screws are set. Mine pops at idle when cold mainly but I have a small leak under my bike where my exhaust headers connect to my muffler so air is getting in.
                Like I said if you want I'd be more than happy to check it out with you.

Comment

what do you think I would drop in repairs?
                  Bring a meter and check the charging voltage.

Look at the date code on the tires. 5+ years and I would consider changing them.

1500 in SoCal is not outrageous. Ask the guy what its gonna take so both of you feel good about the sale. If he is in an airplane hangar he knows about a pre-purchase inspection. Its done on nearly every airplane sale.
                  Last edited by bonanzadave; 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

In the UK £15 for fork seals and fork oil (plus engine oil, filter - the standard service items). Might have to buy a shim or 2 (fiver each) and valve cover gasket (again a fiver or make your own for a quid). All the rest is fix- it-yourself easy.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                      Pull one of the plugs after running it at idle, then you might have an idea how the air screws are set. Mine pops at idle when cold mainly but I have a small leak under my bike where my exhaust headers connect to my muffler so air is getting in.
                      Like I said if you want I'd be more than happy to check it out with you.
                      Come-on it is more fun to just guess .....................

Comment

Ranger, that would be awesome, any time or day that is better for you? I'll have to coordinate with the guy as it's being kept at his hanger on Gillespie Field over in Santee. Shoot me a PM with contact info if you want and we can set up a rendezvous.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Come-on it is more fun to just guess .....................
                          Haha, I've burnt myself before on a dirt bike like 5 years ago, I guessed at the problem and thought it would cost $30 to fix it, I ended up with a crack in the engine block

Comment

Ranger, that would be awesome, any time or day that is better for you? I'll have to coordinate with the guy as it's being kept at his hanger on Gillespie Field over in Santee. Shoot me a PM with contact info if you want and we can set up a rendezvous.
                            Anytime really, I have to go to gillespie field anyways to go fly this week. Just let me know when is good for you, I'm in Temecula most of the time.

He doesnt happen to be in the D hangers on golden state flying clubs side does he...

Comment

Ok, I'm staying down on Clairemont Mesa Blvd area for now, I just called the guy and will see when he's available for meeting up and hopefully we can make this happen soon. If this isn't a lemon I definitely want to lock it down asap. I appreciate the support on this, the pain meds and such make me feel more than a little unfocused at the moment.

Ummm we were the second row in from the gate. Name's John something

Comment

Working...
                              X