Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Manual CCT?????

Hey There,
    I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find a manual Cam Chain tensioner for my 83 GS650M Katana. Does anyone know who might make one and where I can order it from? The APE web site shows nothing for that bike. If they make them for old hondas and Kawi's, then someone has to make one for the old GS's.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

First of all What is Wrong with the tensioner on your bike now. They are completely rebuildable and once that is done you don't have to touch them for years to come. If you fit a manual tensioner you will need to adjust it every 3 to 6 months. BTW if you need to obtain another tensioner all the 550 tensioners fit the 650 models as well.

If you are going to rebuild the one you have now then follow Brian's tutorial on his website.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Kozy_750,

It seems the favorite manual cam chain tensioner is the one from APE. But I agree with Mr. Suzuki_Don, why not rebuild/reset the one you have? Let me share some more GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for that link. The reason I thought about replacing the CCT is because I am hearing a ticking sound coming from the engine once it warms up. If I turn the adj. knob on the CCT counterclockwise, the tick gets noticeably louder. I though a manual tensioner might solve my problem. I was thinking the tensioner was getting weak for some reason.

Comment

Hi,

You're not supposed to turn the cam chain tensioner while the engine is running. There is a reset procedure on my website...

Reset Cam Chain Tensioner

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks BassCliff.
            I'll try the reset and see if that adjusts things and makes my ticking go away. On all my other bikes, (Non suzuki's) I've always put the #1 cyl. to TDC before removing the CCT. In all the GS stuff I've read, I've never seen that step in any instructions, is it nessessary on my old 650 before I remove the CCT? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kozy_750 View Post
              Thanks BassCliff.
              I'll try the reset and see if that adjusts things and makes my ticking go away. On all my other bikes, (Non suzuki's) I've always put the #1 cyl. to TDC before removing the CCT. In all the GS stuff I've read, I've never seen that step in any instructions, is it nessessary on my old 650 before I remove the CCT? Thanks again.
              Your Katana would be shaft drive I assume. Have you downloaded a Suzuki Workshop Manual for your bike from Basscliff's site. It will tell you in there how to remove the cam chain tensioner.

Main thing is to remove the cam cover and get the motor at TDC on No. 1 cyl and make sure the cam timing marks line up as per the workshop manual. Then loosen the cam tensioner locknut a turn or two, then turn in the screw to lock the cam tesnioner shaft in place and then do up the locknut before removing the two screws holding the cam tensioner to the rear of the cylinders and removing the unit as an assembly.

Of course you will need to remove the carbs first to facilitate this.

Remember download a workshop manual for the shaft drive model first.

Comment

Thanks Suzuki_Don. you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                X