Gas everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas everywhere

So this bike is mine/my wife's bike. She has never ridden a bike before so I was giving her a clutch lesson. She has been super excited to try the bike out. Her excitement turned into confidence, her confidence turned into dumping it. She is ok and the bike has minor damage. I had the fuel on prime at the time so gas went everywhere. My question is, what do I need to worry about after a dump? Do I need to worry about gas in the carbs or the engine?

Glad everyone is ok. If nothing major happened to the bike I'm sure it's fine. You can pull the oil cap and check to see if any fuel got into the oil. I'm sure there's fuel everywhere in the carbs but that will sort itself out as soon as you run it for a minute or two. Did anything major happen to the bike that would cause you to worry about something getting where it's not supposed to? have you tried starting the bike since?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you have the bike where you can work on it, pull all the spark plugs, crank it over to blow out any liquid that might be in there FIRST.

Then check the oil for any gasoline odor, put the plugs back in and ride it if the oil is OK.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
        So this bike is mine/my wife's bike. She has never ridden a bike before so I was giving her a clutch lesson. She has been super excited to try the bike out. Her excitement turned into confidence, her confidence turned into dumping it. She is ok and the bike has minor damage. I had the fuel on prime at the time so gas went everywhere. My question is, what do I need to worry about after a dump? Do I need to worry about gas in the carbs or the engine?
        No worry- gas spilled out vent tubes ( those two lines hanging over the airbox) when it went over- ask me how I know!!. Just start it up and it will clear itself.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

After following advice and at least looking or smelling, I guessed it to be ok. The bike fired up for a little bit then seemed to run out of gas. Which is probably true since I didn't put much in and well, it spilled all over the road and in my garage
          The bike actually sounded better to me, but this might have been because the tach cable made a horrible squealing noise before. The tach cable snapped in half during the dump and now is blessedly quiet.

Comment

Working...
          X