General Maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Maintenance?

So guys i have my Gs750 lifted up on jack stands in my parents garage and i plan on having it down for a few days... what would you guys do/look at while its up? just for some ideas anything would help... valve's are gonna be checked i can tell ya that much.. i have a pretty good idea of my bike and have done a lot of work on it but i know someone on here knows something i missed...
    Last edited by GabrielGoes; 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

What has been done to the bike already? It's hard for us to tell you what's needed without knowing the maintenance history. For example, if the bike still has the rubber brake lines they should be replaced. Even better, perform a full brake system tear down to inspect everything and clean out all the gunk in the system. Another thing is to change the intake pipe and carb O-rings. Old O-rings, even if they are sealing okay now, are going to be hard and brittle and should be changed out if you truly want your bike to perform its best and not break down somewhere. Another thing is to make sure your charging system has properly clean contacts, including a solid ground for the R/R. Tons of stuff to do if you want to do it right.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If I remember correctly, you did get some rides in. What things did you notice during those rides that you want to fix? For instance and the reason mine is tore down right now, I needed to replace the chain and sprockets and the ride was rough enough I am wanting to replace shocks and fork springs. Have you already put in a new air filter, oil change, spark plugs, etc?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        If I remember correctly, you did get some rides in. What things did you notice during those rides that you want to fix? For instance and the reason mine is tore down right now, I needed to replace the chain and sprockets and the ride was rough enough I am wanting to replace shocks and fork springs. Have you already put in a new air filter, oil change, spark plugs, etc?
        yeah i need to change my fork springs and probably shocks come to think of it... i noticed that my front brakes made a funny noise while squeezing after a long ride.. sort of like a farting noise it sounded like my caliper(s) was/were vibrating or something... i use crappy pod filters which is probably why i get backfiring occasionally... spark plugs are new.. i have air shocks does anyone know what to do with those? is there like a place were you fill it up with air?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Another thing is to change the intake pipe and carb O-rings.make sure your charging system has properly clean contacts, including a solid ground for the R/R. Tons of stuff to do if you want to do it right.
          what intake pipe your talking about? im gonna order the o-rings from cycle o rings now that u mention it.. Charging system is pretty awesome i did a lot of repair to my harness and now that u mention that also im gonna get rid of my huge box connector doo hicky's and put some spade connectors on. tested my charging its @ 14.9 pretty awesome it doesnt over charge eaither. I still have rubber brake lines which i should probably getting scared of because everything rubber on the bike was pretty much shot

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          What has been done to the bike already?
          Off the top of my head heres what i did:
          New Intake boots, Spark Plugs, Plug Caps, Brake Fluid, Brake Pads, Headlight, Turn Signals, R/R, Battery, Chain, Sprockets, Oil/Filter, Clutch Plates, Clutch Line, Points and Condensors,

so far i havent replaced the brake lines, coils, shocks/fork springs, and the o rings for the carbs i think

Comment

Check and relube swing arm bearings, grease the rear brake lever where it passes thru the frame, clean and apply dielectric grease to all the connectors in the wiring harness..bet you can think of a few more too.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

a good scrub couldn't hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
              X