It Roars! Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Roars! Thanks!

Finished up the valve adjustments tonight. It was still a bit rough. Pulled the carbs off again (too many times to count). Decided to leave the stock air box off and install some pods because I was pretty sure I'd be pulling the carbs again. Rejetted to 110's from 102.5's. Taped the pods to restrict air and see what would happen. Gas started pouring out the pods. Removed them, untaped them, reinstalled and much to my surpise it ran like a top. Even though it's pretty chilly here in Illinois, I couldn't resist taking a lap around the block. After that short ride, I now know what everyone has been talking about as far as performance and handling. That was the smoothest ride I've had. I really appreciate all the advice. I could not have done it without all the help. God Bless.

scudder

What bike? I know it's cold in Joliet as that's my home town. But I've been away from there for almost 27 years. No need to go back either. Too cold!
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Glad to hear you got her running. Now as soon as that weather warms up ride the snoot out of her. I'm curious how loud she is.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The bike's a 1978 gs750. I got it for a "you fix it you can have it" deal so I'm pleased that things have worked out. Yes, things in Joliet are as you probably remember them. Cold, but a good place to be. I drilled out the baffles in my 4 to 1. It isn't loud when at low rpms, but when you twist it is gives you that nice, sound that so many of the old Japanese bikes give you, when you lay into them. It's a nice unique sound.

scudder

Comment

Hey...congrats on getting your bike to run so well!!! You're going to have a blast with that thing.

Have you posted any pics? Of the bike I mean I don't think I've seen any.

I'm kinda fond of the early 750s. Also, you being in Joliet means that you are close to some of the best GSers on the planet. Lots of us here in the Midwest and ChicagoLand and we like to get together and ride sometimes. Maybe you'll join us. Hope so.

Keep an eye out in the Meeting Place for events like the Brown County Rally in southern Indiana or the Fennimore Rally in Wisconsin.

Comment

Check your plugs too, make sure it's not running lean

Comment

I haven't posted any pics yet. The gs isn't cosmetically solid yet. I've been focused on the mechancial side of things. Because of the condition that I got the bike, I have altered it's appearance a bit. As of now, I working on deciding the direction that I want to go with it's appearance. I'm thinkin' cafe and then being able to convert it back to a more traditional upright position with a long back fender, etc., when I want to take longer rides. I enjoy tinkering with the look of it, but I'm not quite as secure with the mechanical side of things. I will check the plugs today. I'm sure she is a little lean.

Riding with fellow Illinois GSers would be great. Looking forward to warmer weather. Got a ways to go yet.

scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
                Looking forward to warmer weather. Got a ways to go yet
                Ain't THAT the truth

Comment

Working...
                X