Winter Maintainance Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Maintainance Projects

'82 GS650 GL This is my first motorcycle but I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done all sorts of things on different cars, primarily VWs.

Bought the bike in July and got it running pretty well and have been riding it. I've put off winterizing it until it got/gets really cold, but I think that day is coming really soon. (Was still able to ride it last week, and may get to tomorrow but the weekend is showing a big cold spell coming.)

Anyway, there are a few things I have been putting off until I decide I can bear to be without for a few weeks because it is cold anyway.

So, I guess my question is suggested order of operations, if it matters for some reason. Here is the list I have in my head of what really needs done:

*Carbs-got 'em cleaned out pretty good to the point the bike runs pretty well. But I didn't rebuild them or replace all the o-rings yet and at least one will drain the fuel from the petcock down (but not the tank because the petcock still cuts flow) when it sits so the needle isn't seating properly all the time. I suppose it could be the bowl drain leaking, but gas appears around the top of the bowl.

*Valves-Engine runs smoothly once warmed up so I've been putting this off but I have no idea when they were adjusted last so I think it would be a good idea.

*Engine/Trans-Second gear pops out of gear most of the time. When I was looking for a bike I saw something about this being not uncommon and that the engine needed to be split in order to replace a shifter fork that gets bent or something like that.

*Various bits I've purchased but not yet installed-front fork seals, front and rear wheel bearings

So those are the things I need to do.

First, are there any "while you are in there" things I should strongly consider while working on any of those things?

Second, is there a suggested order of operations? For example, I would be frustrated if, say, I get the valves adjusted and then crack open the engine to do the shift fork thing and find out that somehow that changed the valve adjustment. (I don't think this scenario would be really possible, but then again I am pretty new to motorcycles.)

Thanks,

Dave Cook

Sounds like a good assortment of work. She'll be good as new by the time you're done. If your are going into the fork seals how do the steering stem bearings feel? While you have your speedo gearbox off make sure the tabs look straight and it's a good time to clean it up and throw some good grease in there. Lube all your cables/bleed your brakes, blah, blah, pretty basic stuff I'm sure you already have in mind. Replace the intake O-rings while you have the carbs off, important and fairly cheap and then you know it's done. Don't know much about the clutches but someone with more knowledge will chime in on that. There's a number of other bearings you can check in the rear if you want but it is a bit more work (swing arm, final drive). While you have the final drive off make sure you check the splines for any damage and use some good quality grease on reassembly.As far as order I don't think you need to worry about that other than synching the carbs is the last thing to do as your valve adjustment will effect it. Still learning myself but there's a few things from my experiences. Sounds like fun.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
    X