Confused on Sprocket conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused on Sprocket conversion

Sorry guys i know this one get asked alot. I have a 1981 gs750L. 16/40 is what i have for sprockets now. I want to make the conversion to 530. If i do the math from z1 it gives me. 19/48 which there is no 19 tooth front. So i was thinking 18/48. Am i way off on this???? Any advice would be great!

If you wanted to keep your exact ratio, order the 18 front and get a 45 rear.

Using the 48 rear with the 18 front will increase your revs at highway speed.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the input! i think i'm going to go down to a 17 in the front. Doing some searching the one 18 i found doesn't say my specific model. Where the 17 does. If i go down one in the front, that changes my torque?

Comment

That will give you more torque (power), but will again increase your revs at any highway speed.

Just to illustrate, whatever speed you used to go with the engine at 4000 rpm (let's just say 60 mph):
        19T = 60 mph
        18T = 56.8 mph
        17T = 53.7 mph

or, let's show engine speed at 60 mph:
        19T = 4000
        18T = 4222
        17T = 4470

I would suggest calling Z1 and actually talking to them, not just looking at their website.
        Jeff and Chris really know what they are talking about with the GS bikes.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Comment

A smaller tooth sprocket on the front increases accelaration and at the same time drops the top speed. This is what Steve is saying by the figures he has produced. Talk to Z1 as suggested.

Comment

17f-42r will put you very very close to 19-48. That is providing you intend to keep it the same as it is now, and providing you did the math correctly.

Comment

.... and providing a 42 tooth rear sprocket, as it's quite a bit smaller, will not make the chain scrape on the swingarm pivot...

Comment

on my 77 750 I went as small as 16-38 without ever rubbing the swingarm pivot when I did my 530 conversion. I dont recommend it though as I lost a ton of grunt and acceleration.

Comment

Why do we need to go to a 530 chain over stock chain?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      Why do we need to go to a 530 chain over stock chain?
                      Less weight and a better selection of chains. Just try getting a 630 chain now. You would have an easier time getting crack from your parts supplier than a 630 chain.
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
                        on my 77 750 I went as small as 16-38 without ever rubbing the swingarm pivot when I did my 530 conversion. I dont recommend it though as I lost a ton of grunt and acceleration.
                        Other than the sprocket maths, anything else I'd need for 530 conversion on a 78 GS750? Spacers on front sprocket?

Comment

Did you talk to Z1 as suggested? What did they recommend?
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                          X