Clutch cable sticks when engine is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable sticks when engine is hot

Once again, I come to the GS Resources for help with my bike's problems.

A while ago I was having issues with the cable sticking all the time. It would kind of jerk into gear, making it a bit difficult for a new rider to use it. I replaced the clutch cable and things were good again.

Now I am having a bit of a different problem. The clutch cable will work good for 1 to 3 miles. When I pull the clutch, it disengages like it should, but when I release it, the clutch lever does not go back to the normal position, and the clutch doesnt engage. If I play with the clutch cable adjustments, I can squeeze the clutch lever in further, and that will usually unstick it. This has been going on for a couple months, a little while after I had a mechanic change the chain and sprockets (if that would make a difference).

If anyone has any ideas about how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it. Having to worry about the clutch all the time takes the fun out of a motorcycle ride.

check your chain tension, new chains will stretch and a slack chain will cause gear change problems.check the clutch cable routing, make sure it is right, otherwise it sounds like a problem with the clutch itself,you may need to pull it apart to find the problem
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Some GSes are actuated on the clutch cover, some go down into the sprocket cover and use a rod that crosses the engine to actuate the clutch. Since we have no clue as to which bike you have, it will be difficult to advise any further.

Comment

Oh sorry, my bike is the '79 GS550L. How did I forget to mention that? Koolaid, I think that my bike has the rod that crosses the bike, since I pulled it out once. I'm not really sure how that would cause any problems though, as the spring that returns the clutch lever is where that rod connects with the cable. Maybe the plastic screw thing that connects the cable to the rod is sticking?

Comment

O.K., on that type of clutch actuator the first thing I would do is clean it. You need to remove the sprocket cover (probaby the shifter, footpeg first, IDK) remove and disassemble the screw mechanism. Clean it thoroughly, use some waterproof grease on it (I use marine grease from TSC) and reassemble it. While you have everything apart, go ahead and lube the clutch cable. You might also want to remove the pushrod and check it for straightness. I usually put it on a very flat surface like a sheet of glass and roll it.
          Assemble carefully, as this type can get bound either at the cable or the screw mechanism during assembly. This gives you a good clean slate to start with.
          This only takes a couple of hours, and may solve your problem. If not, report back with your findings. Best of luck.

Comment

Koolaid kid, you are an absolute godsend. I did exactly as you instructed, took apart the screw mechanism, cleaned it up (it was dirty as hell) and greased it with marine grease. After I put it together again, I was extremely happy to find that the clutch works as good as a brand new bike. The clutch has not worked this good the entire time I've owned this bike. Not only did it fix the sticky part, but it made much less tension when I pull on it.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Comment

You are welcome.
              Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

Yeah but now what do I do with a full tube of marine grease? Haha

Comment

keep it around and use it on other stuff. I'd say its good for lubrication of moving parts(obviously) but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    O.K., on that type of clutch actuator the first thing I would do is clean it. You need to remove the sprocket cover (probaby the shifter, footpeg first, IDK) remove and disassemble the screw mechanism. Clean it thoroughly, use some waterproof grease on it (I use marine grease from TSC) and reassemble it. While you have everything apart, go ahead and lube the clutch cable. You might also want to remove the pushrod and check it for straightness. I usually put it on a very flat surface like a sheet of glass and roll it.
                    Assemble carefully, as this type can get bound either at the cable or the screw mechanism during assembly. This gives you a good clean slate to start with.
                    This only takes a couple of hours, and may solve your problem. If not, report back with your findings. Best of luck.
                    Would this be the same on a 450?

And is the screw mechanism in the sprocket cover?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Would this be the same on a 450?

And is the screw mechanism in the sprocket cover?
                      yes it would
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                      X