Sould Torque Values Vary Between Steel and Aluminium Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sould Torque Values Vary Between Steel and Aluminium Threads

At the weekend I was looking for the torque value for the oil filter cover drain plug for my 550 (same for all GS's I think) which has a 10mm thread. BTW I could not find it anywhere.

As a result of this searching I did find some torque values for other 10mm metric threaded bolts, nuts, etc. For example the engine mounting bolts are 10mm and have quite a high torque rating for obvious reasons.

My question is this: Would there be a different torque setting for the same size steel bolt, fitting, etc. depending whether it is being screwed into an aluminium casting as opposed to be screwed into a steel casting.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM.

here you go

Comment

Thanks for the chart, that's very helpful.

Also what is the difference between kg-m and nm.

My torque wrench is in nm and the figures in the manual are in kg-m.

Comment

Just to head off any confusion for anyone else who sees the chart above...

Torque values are specified based on the THREAD diameter, not the wrench size used on the fastener.

Also, when the OP mentioned a 10mm thread, he was talking about a drain plug in the oil filter cover (this is actually NOT found on most GS models), NOT the 6mm studs that hold the oil filter cover on.

Sorry, I've seen too many posts from people who blindly crank down 6mm valve cover bolts with the torque spec for 10mm bolts and then wonder why the bolts all break and their valve cover just cracked...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Also, to answer the question, the drain plug may very well take LESS torque because of the limited number of threads engaged, and the fact that it should have a sealing washer of some sort.

In other words, I wouldn't go cranking down on a wee 10mm drain plug with 25 foot-pounds of torque. Put on a new sealing washer (it's probably a steel crush washer -- you can get these at any auto parts store) and snug it up.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Thanks for the chart, that's very helpful.

Also what is the difference between kg-m and nm.

My torque wrench is in nm and the figures in the manual are in kg-m.
            If you google the result you can get the answer

<H3>Torque, Moment

foot-pound torque, newton-meter
            • 1 ft lb = 1.356 Nm
            </H3>
            torque is force mutiplied time a moment (lever) arm distance. Kg is ususally thought of as a weight but it is really a mass. Newtons are weight/force according to the formula

F=mg;

so you have to multiply kg times 9.81 m/sec^2 to get to a true SI torque of N-m
            Last edited by posplayr; 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

YES, Please understand that these values are definitely for the THREAD DIAMETER not size wrench you use. I should have specified. Also, the suggested torque goes down when lubricated and an oil drain plug shouldn't be over tightened. You should feel the bolt tighten up on the crush washer. Then you will feel it actually crush the washer, and then not too much more than that. If you do, you will end up having to fix it. I had to replace my oil pan on my car because the PO had over tightened it and I wanted it fixed correctly instead of using one of those self tapping larger plugs.

Comment

hhhmmmm ... i was under the impresion that ase and ansi stated that ALL torque values are with a lube

Comment

surely the answer is to buy a decent torque wrench and a manual........then read it
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    surely the answer is to buy a decent torque wrench and a manual........then read it
                    Except the torque setting for this drain plug is NOT IN THE BOOK.

The main sump drain plug is not listed either.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      Except the torque setting for this drain plug is NOT IN THE BOOK
                      then common sence says tighten it up until it feels tight enough without over doing it
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        then common sence says tighten it up until it feels tight enough without over doing it
                        Where I come from, common sense is uncommon.
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Also, to answer the question, the drain plug may very well take LESS torque because of the limited number of threads engaged, and the fact that it should have a sealing washer of some sort.

In other words, I wouldn't go cranking down on a wee 10mm drain plug with 25 foot-pounds of torque. Put on a new sealing washer (it's probably a steel crush washer -- you can get these at any auto parts store) and snug it up.
                          Don't worry Brian, I will not crank the 10mm drain plug to 25 ft/lbs. Actually it should be about half of that.

I have resorted to a Kawasaki manual as Suzuki does not provide the information that I need.

The Kawasaki manual states the following:

Sump Drain Plug (14mm thread, same as my bike) @ 14.5 to 18 ft/lb.
                          Oil Filter Cover Drain Plug (10mm thread) @ 8.5 to 13 ft/lb.

Good luck in the POLL Guys.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X