What would be considered high mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be considered high mileage?

What would be considered high mileage to be, on these bikes? I see a lot around at 25k to 40k on the odometer. Is that middle age or sunset time? What is a reasonable amount, of mileage to get out of these bike?
    Thanks.

Will

"Sunset time"??

They are just fully broken-in at that mileage.

I have three 850s at home, only one of them is less than that 25,000 mark. It's at about 16,000, the others are at about 34,000 and 62,000.

There are many reports of them going well over 100,000 miles with no problems, as long as you do proper maintenance.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well over 100,000, it may be time for a top end rebuild. The one high mileage GS I had ('77 GS 550 with 120,000 or so hard miles) just needed all the gaskets replaced due to oil leaking everywhere. It still ran fine, the metal parts in the engine were still within limits. Wheel bearings, steering and swingarm bearings may need replacing at some point.
      The other bikes have all been younger at least in miles, mostly less than 70,000. All have been OK except the ones that were neglected too long, usually lack of valve adjustments or air leaking into the intakes does them in. Still just a minor top end rebuild will have it going again.

You never really know, since a speedo can be swapped out in minutes.

When I buy an old GS, I don't even look at the mileage anymore, it's irrelevant.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i had a customer some years ago who ran a GS1100G with over 100.000 miles on it then which had never been out of the frame.
        I hear he's still got it and it's over 200,000 now...
        look after them properly and they just keep going.

Comment

Just the answers I was hoping for! Thanks!

Will

Comment

Look at my sig, and where my bike's been since '05. I got it with 25k on the odometer.

Comment

Hi,

My 850 is coming up on 43,000 miles and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. I just perform the regular maintenance (regularly!) and I expect 100,000 miles before a top end rebuild.

Change crankcase oil and filter every 2000 miles.
              Clean the air filter every 2000 miles (or so).
              Valve check/adjust every 4000 miles (or so).
              Vacuum sync the carbs after every valve adjustment.
              Secondary gear oil change every 8K-10K miles.
              Final drive gear oil change every 8K-10K miles.
              Replace fork oil and brake fluid every other season.
              Keep the electrical connections clean, especially on the charging system.

Anything else?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Jennifer (GS1000G) has been my faithful companion for just on 375000Km (234000mi)
                Granted, we have been through the usual GS maladies, and then some, but her 8 valve, air cooled heart still beats strong.
                Wiring, stators, RR, base gasket oil leaks, steering head bearings, but she has never once left me on the side of the road, ever.
                I have owned her for 29 of her 30 years, bought her as second owner when she had 15000Km on the clock, so all those miles were done by yours truly, and the girls want to know why I have the Suzuki block seat pattern permenantly imprinted on my butt, and why I walk like John Wayne?
                She is now undergoing a "from the frame up" restoration, to better than factory spec, and when she is done, will never, ever be sold, not by me anyway.
                I have owned upwards of 30 motorcycles in my life, of all makes, shapes and sizes, and I can honestly say, nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes even close to the GS1000G.
                So like Steve says, bearly broken in.

Comment

Most die with less the 60,000 miles from poor maintenance or a do-it-yourself owner. Some do get good maintenance and run well past 100.000 miles.

Comment

Read a long time ago that bikes don't die,they are neglected to death.As true now as it was then,back when our bikes where new.

Comment

I met a guy last spring with a GS1150 with 160, 000kms which is about 100, 000 miles and has not really major work except regular maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        Most die with less the 60,000 miles from poor maintenance or a do-it-yourself owner. Some do get good maintenance and run well past 100.000 miles.
                        The majority of the riders on this forum are "do-it-yourself" owners. Does that mean our bikes are destined for an early demise of less than 60,000 miles? I'm not about to take mine to a stealership to perform basic or advanced maintenance procedures, the hourly rate is too high for me to drop it off for a week or two, pick it up supposedly fixed, just so I can do the same work that should have been done properly over again.

Comment

I have a little over 92,000 miles on my 1150 Kat. Its destroyed 5 starter clutches and few clutch baskets, and had many electrical issues. It hasn't been apart since 96.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

high milage

My Gs1000s has done around 95,000miles had engined stripped rebored to a wiseco 1085cc
                            because there was a score mark on 2or3 barrell ,where we think a circlip came out drinking oil she was a litre every 200miles 2050.
                            the crank was like new no wear wot so ever, the pistons were worn was still on on orignal camchain,that was changed to a HD one.
                            the gear box front sprox splines we badly worn,it didnt have any valve guide seals they had gone hard ,replaced valve guides to Ape bronze ones.
                            I used to know a guy who had a Gs with 240.000mls on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              Got a chuckle out of this.

Ed (the do-it-yourself owner)
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X