Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine on a stand

Hey Guys and Gals,

Sort of General Maint....more electrical, really...

I have a 16v 750 engine on a stand and another spare that has most of the extra parts needed to make one good running engine. I have extra carbs, airbox, exhaust...I'm going to try have a nice sparkling 16v 750 on a stand running. IF I ever decide to sell the '81 GS750L, I'd like to sell a running engine along with it.

The reason I'm posting this is I'm thinking about a few other things....What about the electrical end of the scenario ?? I'm going to have to have coils, starter solenoid........I guess I'm asking, what is needed electrically to be able to run an engine on a stand as I described ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Someone here with more experience than me may dispute this but here are my thoughts:
    a 12 volt power supply to the + side of the coils. The negative side goes to the igniter box. Assuming that you use a car battery for your power then you'd have to connect the battery's ground terminal to the engine and that's the ground for your spark plugs (as well as for the starter)
    A power supply for the igniter box. Then the igniter connected to the coils and the signal generator.
    And the starter (momentary connection should be fine eliminating the need for a solenoid and starter button) to the power supply with that grounded through the engine back to the power supply.
    I think that's it. Maybe.

Comment

Make sure you have a nice sturdy stand! My buddy was telling me years ago he went to a guy's place to buy some car parts, and these yahoos were starting up a 440ci Dodge motor mounted to a wooden workbench with 2x4s!
      Needless to say, my buddy got out of there before he had to see any mayhem.
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
      X