Advice on fork brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    I'm imagining that if the bolts holding the two half's together slip a binding condition can occur. Not the safest failure mode.
    There are a lot of things on a motorcycle or car that will cause a problem if the fastener tension is not correct. Yet, wheels don't come off unless the lug nuts are installed with too much or too little torque. Neither do handlebars, footpegs, etc. Everything has it's potential.

I look at the Teleflex adjustable as a positive feature as I have a hard time believing what an aftermarket brace would be machined to would equate to the same precision between the triples and final front wheel alignment. Suzuki would not state to the aftermarket company "This is the centerline width and tolerance, and this is the fork tube diameter and tolerance". How would an aftermarket company get the information? They would go out and measure one or several examples and make an educated guess. That has the potential for a big tolerance variation, plus it's own machining tolerance.

As I stated, I've not had an issue with mine since '83. I know of two other people who also still have the Teleflex braces, one with just over 78,000 miles on his wheels. None of these have ever loosened. The only time I have ever heard of this issue is from Agemax.

Comment

I have two brands, both of which have slotted holes. The Tarzozzi has no slotted holes then?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        I have two brands, both of which have slotted holes. The Tarzozzi has no slotted holes then?
        Yea, no slotted holes. The top plate holes are slightly oversized so there is some consideration for production variation in the forks. On my particular Tarzozzi the plate fit nicely and there is no binding in the forks after everything is cinched down.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

FWIW, the Telefix comes with a very specific installation sequence to prevent any binding. Any fork brace, carelessly installed & maintained will bind. We have had a couple threads here that deal specifically with this issue, so no point rehashing Age's unfounded claim (IMHO) that Telefix braces have a history of binding.
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            FWIW, the Telefix comes with a very specific installation sequence to prevent any binding. Any fork brace, carelessly installed & maintained will bind. We have had a couple threads here that deal specifically with this issue, so no point rehashing Age's unfounded claim (IMHO) that Telefix braces have a history of binding.
            you quote that to my mates bereaved family who spent thousands on a police accident investigation team who proved that the fork brace was the cause of his death and it wasnt the first case they have investigated with this "particular brand"
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              you quote that to my mates bereaved family who spent thousands on a police accident investigation team who proved that the fork brace was the cause of his death and it wasnt the first case they have investigated with this "particular brand"
              Sorry, I call BS....I suppose they 'spent thousands' to prove it, and then took no further action like suing Telefix etc.? Any link to info on this particular incident? Any kind of search only brings up positive reviews for this item, no apparent history of safety issues. Looking at the design again, it seems to me that any loosening of either of the 2 bolts in the slots, would more likely result in the brace not having the desired bracing effect in terms of rigidity, not cause a catastrophic binding situation.....that usually takes over-tightening that pull the forks tubes together, hindering their telescoping action.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                Sorry, I call BS....I suppose they 'spent thousands' to prove it, and then took no further action like suing Telefix etc.? Any link to info on this particular incident? Any kind of search only brings up positive reviews for this item, no apparent history of safety issues. Looking at the design again, it seems to me that any loosening of either of the 2 bolts in the slots, would more likely result in the brace not having the desired bracing effect in terms of rigidity, not cause a catastrophic binding situation.....that usually takes over-tightening that pull the forks tubes together, hindering their telescoping action.
                call what you like mate.believe what you like, carry on and go buy a telefix
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Agemax,

I'm sorry about the loss of you friend. If you know of any links or keys to search for to the case I'd be interested in reviewing it for my own edification. I've spend time looking for references to cases here in the US and I haven't been able to find any. But that could be more related to popularity and production of the product more in the 80's and legal cases not archived.

If the accident investigation team has prior history with this issue, the cost of investigation should have been greatly narrowed in scope. Not saying that it still would not have been thousands. I'm not sure how product liability is handled in the UK.

I worked in the accident reconstruction field during the 80's here in the US, specifically in the motorcycle product liability area handing cases for Honda, Yamaha, H-D, etc. I never heard of any issues brought forth about Teleflex in the US with any of the people I knew. If the company "Teleflex" ever came up in conversation of my reading my attention would have perked up.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Yea, no slotted holes. The top plate holes are slightly oversized so there is some consideration for production variation in the forks. On my particular Tarzozzi the plate fit nicely and there is no binding in the forks after everything is cinched down.
                    Oversized holes have the same potential as elongated slots, although limited within their clearance. The Tarzozzi has the benefit of four fasteners needed to become loosened, where as the Teleflex only has two.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
                      Agemax,

I'm sorry about the loss of you friend. If you know of any links or keys to search for to the case I'd be interested in reviewing it for my own edification. I've spend time looking for references to cases here in the US and I haven't been able to find any. But that could be more related to popularity and production of the product more in the 80's, and legal cases not archived.

If the accident investigation team has prior history with this issue, the cost of investigation should have been greatly narrowed in scope. Not saying that it still would not have been thousands.

I worked in the accident reconstruction field during the 80's here in the US, specifically in the motorcycle product liability area handing cases for Honda, Yamaha, H-D, etc. I never heard of any issues brought forth about Teleflex in the US with any of the people I knew. If the company "Teleflex" ever came up in conversation of my reading my attention would have perked up.
                      thanks but i have no records to access. he was a friend, not family. the documents and results were shown to me but they belong to the immediate family. i cant really go knocking on their door asking for them so i can copy them and post them up on a public forum.
                      besides, i have lost touch with his parents now and its just good to rememeber them and Mike with out dragging it all up again.
                      just wanted to let people know. if they choose to buy one then up to them. isnt that what a forum is for, to provide info and opinions?
                      i quit on this particular thread now. mock all you like
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Used em both as well as others. Personally, given most peoples riding aggressiveness I would say there isn't much difference aside from design and construction quality. I like the tarozzi. But the telefix was ok too. Were I to pick on one, any one with more bolts means more "fudge-ability". Also less strain across the shear points. Any fork brace improperly installed WILL do more harm than good. All are a bit different and every one I've uses come with specific instructions that vary from one another. Follow YOUR braces instructions to the letter. There are a few threads on instalation of a brace but as each vary, they are a loose walk through.

Comment

No one has mentioned yet the fact that Tarozzi may be the only fork braces still in production, or at least available in the US. Fortunately, Tarozzi braces are very well made pieces.

I tried several times over a span of ten years to buy a Telefix brace for my GS850, and finally had to give up. The gibbering, screaming, cursing old coot who answers the phone at Spec II (the listed US importer -- they're made in Germany) is pretty much insane. I never did figure out what the hell his problem was, but he went from zero to full profane incoherent rage in about .003 seconds whenever I asked to buy a fork brace. I called back every couple of years for a while, figuring maybe I'd catch him with some medication in his system, but no dice.

Bob's BMW was listed as a Telefix importer for a while, but they didn't have the slightest idea what I was talking about when I called them, and refused to even consider the possibility when they heard it was for a -- sniff -- lowly Suzuki.

Other than finding something from back in the day listed on fleaBay (good luck finding something that fits and is in good shape), I don't know of any other sources for fork braces.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for all the great input everyone. Looks like I'll probably go with the Tarozzi. I'll start checking out prices. Are these safe to buy used do you think? or too much of a risk?
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The Tarrozi is good value......$109CAN, and Fast From The Past ships quickly.

Mounts on the bike in minutes, and fits very well.......your time spent searching for something else has value......

Comment

I think my Telefix is binding, swapped bikes with Joe on our recent BC rally and he noticed that the front isn't coming all the way back now. Learned a new word...."stiction" and I got it.

I have progressives, 1/2 inch spacer and did new seals/oil about 4 years ago. At the time when the Telefix was added, Ryan and I had broken down the front end to specifically make certain it was NOT binding....and now it is so yeah, the bike ran great but handled like crap. Guess I'm just used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X