1981 GS11OOE - Repair or Sell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS11OOE - Repair or Sell?

I bought this 1981 GS1100E last year and it ran fine when I bought it but quickly went downhill. I've offered up for sale at $1000 but not takers so far.

I'd consider trying to repair it but don't have experience and don't know if I can find the parts I'd need.

Here's what's wrong with it:

Gas tank: Old lining was peeling off, had relined but that burned off the paint and revealed rust. Searched for a replacement tank but can't find one.

Electric: Brand new battery drains when left sitting for a week or so.

Taillight: Mount points behind seat broke off and it's just zip-tied in place.

Tire: Slow leak on front tire.

So... Is this worth rebuilding? What would that cost? Or sell it for parts / repair to someone who can use it?

Or, does anyone know someone in or near Austin, TX who could get this running again?

Thanks!

It's not enough to just get it running again, it needs maintenance on an ongoing basis. If you aren't up to it I suggest selling. The items you describe don't seem overly difficult to fix, other than maybe finding a tank, but unless you enjoy tinkering with it there is no reason to continue to fight with it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I agree with Nessism. Just to get it going is one thing, to keep it going is another. It has to be a hobby. Like an old hotrod, ya have to enjoy working on old bike as well as riding em.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

With enough time and effort you can rebuild anything. What you listed are common problems on any old bike or any mechanical device that has been left to its own devices. Electrical issues are a common theme here and all can be addressed. This forum seems to abound with improperly cleaned carbs and electrics issues.

Try fixing simple things at first it will instill an ever increasing confidence and skillset. For example, the tire should be replaced and while its off take a metal polish and clean the inevitable corrosion off the rim. Old steel rims leak at the bead from corrosion too so its not a bike issue its a wheel and tire issue.

I cannot envision the body mounting problem but if it happened to your bike it has happened to other members who have the same make and model. Find out what they did. Good old fibreglass matting and resin can work wonders.

Hot bikes are like hot girls all you need is a bit of money and confidence. You gonna try for her or walk away and let someone else have her?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. cmclagan,

Have a look at your "mega-welcome" and peruse my little website to see all of the usual maintenance items that are necessary to restore your bike to a safe and reliable condition. Then decide. It will take some work, some money, and some savvy shopping on Ebay to find a new tank if you can't repair that one. Most engine parts can still be bought from Suzuki OEM dealers but body parts are no longer available. Let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'd sell it for $200 or so unless I was one of us weird guys with a passion for fixing dead old bikes.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              It's not enough to just get it running again, it needs maintenance on an ongoing basis. If you aren't up to it I suggest selling. The items you describe don't seem overly difficult to fix, other than maybe finding a tank, but unless you enjoy tinkering with it there is no reason to continue to fight with it.
              I though we were gonna hear about a twisted crank

Comment

Originally posted by cmclagan View Post
                Gas tank: Old lining was peeling off, had relined but that burned off the paint and revealed rust. Searched for a replacement tank but can't find one.

Electric: Brand new battery drains when left sitting for a week or so.

Taillight: Mount points behind seat broke off and it's just zip-tied in place.

Tire: Slow leak on front tire.

So... Is this worth rebuilding? What would that cost? Or sell it for parts / repair to someone who can use it?

Thanks!
                Worth rebuilding? Absolutely. But you really have to do the work yourself...it's just not worth it to pay someone else to do it.

The gas tank might be OK if you can clean the rust off the outside and put a nice coat of paint on it. Don't give up on it yet. (about $50 for primer, paint and supplies)

Electrical problems can be tricky. Usually a battery drain like that can be traced but it's going to take a some time and patience. (Free)

The tires could be too old to use anyway. If that's the case then the slow leak will be corrected when they are replaced. ($300 or so)

You might find a taillight used or fix up the one you have with some epoxy. If you have no other choice a brand new assembly is available from Suzuki for about $150. It's amazing how many parts are still available from their many on-line sites. ($3.00 if you can fix it with epoxy, $150 for a new one)

Carbs will need to be cleaned; ($20 for cleaner and o-rings)

So it's far too early to give up on that one. Stick around here and keep asking if anyone in the Austin area is able to help you. (total so far is high estimate of $500. or much lower if the tires are good and the light can be fixed....but I haven't even seen the bike.)

So you have to decide if it's worth it to you. None of this is as hard as you might think.

Comment

Working...
                X