No announcement yet.

just finished the front brake rebuild - ahhhh piece of mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, back from test ride and can say brakes are 100% better. The lever now has a normal range of travel, instead of getting hard right from the onset of movement. Since I had it lying around, we went ahead and rebuilt the front MC with a genuine Suzuki parts kit. The calipers have been intirely rebuilt, including new piston seals, dust boots, and spindel o-rings.

Since I've replaced/renewed so much of the system, I guess I'll never know which factors contributed the most to the improved braking performance, but I'm glad it's done!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      That could make sense especially if the rubber seal tore at all. Did you replace all of the seals?
      Yep, all seals and dust boots replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        When putting that caliper back together you need to use high temperature caliper grease on those sliding pins and bushings. Also, the factory service manual calls for greasing the back side of some of the pads so you might want to check the Suzuki manual to get this detail right.
        Hi Ed, I used a liberal amount of high-temp copper based grease (the same as for the exhaust header bolts), and a very thin film of regular lithium grease on the circumference of the pad that goes in the mounting bracket (not the one that gets bolted to the back of the caliper). I was trying to be very careful not to get grease on the face of the pad, LOL

Question: I took pictures of the whole "surgery" and thought I might post a how-to. Do you think a "Caliper Rebuil for Dummies" would be useful to have around here?

Comment

Originally posted by GS Jim View Post
          Hi Ed, I used a liberal amount of high-temp copper based grease (the same as for the exhaust header bolts), and a very thin film of regular lithium grease on the circumference of the pad that goes in the mounting bracket (not the one that gets bolted to the back of the caliper). I was trying to be very careful not to get grease on the face of the pad, LOL

Question: I took pictures of the whole "surgery" and thought I might post a how-to. Do you think a "Caliper Rebuil for Dummies" would be useful to have around here?
          Actually, there is already one on Basscliff's site...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...r_overhaul.pdf

Might be able to add to it though.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Actually, there is already one on Basscliff's site...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...r_overhaul.pdf

Might be able to add to it though.
            Yeah, I used it as reference for my rebuild. I was thinking something more step-by-step for really newbies (like myself!) with lots of photos. Also, the calipers on Basscliff's site are of the later 1982 model, a little different from the ones on my bike.

Anyway, it's all good. I'll whip something up and if it's useful, great, if not, so be it. I would just like to return something to the site - I couldn't have gotten this far with my bike's resto without it!

Comment

Working...
            X