Weird "vibration" and chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird "vibration" and chain?

First time I've ridden my '78 GS750 any distance (50km) and it has a weird vibration which is most obvious at slower speeds .. especially when decelerating. It's also mostly felt through the footpegs, but seems to be coming from the rear swingarm assembly.

I suspect it's the chain with a rough link(s) and/or the front sprocket is a bit funky. I think I'll just change all to be on the safe side.

I've checked the rear swingarm bushing (play) and wheel bearings and they seem OK.

Any other suggestions?

Check the chain tension.

If there is too much slack, the chain can bang on the swingarm as you are slowing down.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Make sure the chain is not too tight. If you replace it Think about a conversion to 520 ? chain

Comment

Originally posted by OzJavelin View Post
        First time I've ridden my '78 GS750 any distance (50km) and it has a weird vibration which is most obvious at slower speeds .. especially when decelerating. It's also mostly felt through the footpegs, but seems to be coming from the rear swingarm assembly.

I suspect it's the chain with a rough link(s) and/or the front sprocket is a bit funky. I think I'll just change all to be on the safe side.

I've checked the rear swingarm bushing (play) and wheel bearings and they seem OK.

Any other suggestions?

Wiggle your Swingarm to check bushin ang bearing play as well. The things so wear and the tazy movement from worn parts can drive you mad.

Comment

I had something like this last summer, turned out to be chain being too tight, with weight on the bike and the rear sprocket deflecting up and down about 2mm.
          I could feel it on decel but no other time.

I fixed it by replacing the rear sprocket and setting the proper tension with the weight of two passengers on the bike.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

my Gs1000 had a similar problem kept checking chain sproxs ,when i had it engine stripped
            down we noticed front sprox splines on the shaft were badly warn so 95000 miles it
            done well me thinks replaced complete gear box ,no more probs ,luckly the guy who done
            my rebuild had a good one he didnt need.

Comment

Working...
            X