Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder Rebuild Order

Hello Suzuki Riders,

Your help on this one would be much appreciated.

My bike is a GS850 - 1979

I am rebuilding the front master cylinder. I’m usually pretty careful when I am disassembling parts, however the master cylinder parts all fell out on to the bench and I was unable to check the assembly order….OK OK I took it apart and forgot how it goes back together – I admit it.

I ordered new parts and I received a plunger, a spring, a plastic round seal and a cup like thing (I don’t know what else to call it). I have assembled the parts in the order that seems appropriate. The cup on one end of the spring the plastic seal on the other end of the spring.

So my question is which way around does the spring go in to the cylinder? I have looked at the manual and every other picture I can find but they offer very little clarity. I have included a photo which I think shows the correct way around.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

IMO you have the rubber seal and spring the wrong way round. If you think about it, if you install it the way you have it then the rubber seal will go into the bore of the cylinder first and be hard up against the hole in the end of the cylinder preventing any fluid from passing into the brake line. So it would not work. The other point is that the seal has to slide up and down the bore and it cannot do that if it is jammed against the end of the cylinder by the spring.

This is a picture of my '77 GS550B Master Cylinder just after it was disassembled. Note the position of the seals in relation to each other.

Comment

The search feature is a wonderful tool...I posted this exact same question with the exact same words last summer...

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

And you can always go to bike bandit or babbits and look at systemschematics to view the order the part go in ..i have done that more than i care to count.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Suzuki Don: Thank you for the quick response and helping a brother out – I appreciate it.

Chuck: I did look at the schematics on several bike part sites but unfortunately the piston cup is not an exploded view and the details have been obfuscated and the images are generally poor quality for this part.

Hey Cowboy, did you know your post is predated by another asking the same question?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=128850&highlight=front+master+cyl inder+order

Did you search?

Comment

Yep I did. That post actually led me to ask my question because I needed the visual
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X