Tire sizes (sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire sizes (sorry)

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and show how stupid I am. I'm confused as to what size tires I need for my 1981 GS1000G. I don't understand the markings on my tires. Can somebody please tell me what I need, or at least where to look to find out? Thanks.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

They should be marked on the sidewall. They'll look something like 100/90 19 (not those exact numbers, but in that format)

Comment

Quick google search shows 110/90 19 in the front and 130/90 16 in the back

Comment

BassCliff website says 3.50 x 19 front and 4.50 x 17 rear. This is pretty close to 90mm width for front and 120mm for rear. Most go slightly wider with a 100/90 x 19 and 130/90 x 17 since more tires are available in these sizes. Speed ratings are by letters, H is usually high enough, a lot of tires are rated higher at Z.

Comment

BassCliff has a chart on his site here:

But of course you'll have to convert to modern sizes. Shows a -17 rear, not a -16. The 1000GL would be a -16. Naturally one should confirm with the installed tires as the wheels could have been changed.

Comment

Yes, I saw the 3.50x19 on the front and 4.50x17 on the rear, but I had not seen that type of marking before. I was use to seeing the metric markings. Thanks
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Just want to make sure those extra widths (110/90 front and 130/90 rear) will fit. Can anybody confirm? Thanks again.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Yes and Yes.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  Yes, I saw the 3.50x19 on the front and 4.50x17 on the rear, but I had not seen that type of marking before. I was use to seeing the metric markings. Thanks
                  You mean your bike still has the original tires on it??? Or close to it?

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                    You mean your bike still has the original tires on it??? Or close to it?
                    Apprantly so. I bought it a year ago and rode last year with them as I only tooled around town. Not this year though. Daddy needs some new shoes!
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

Apprantly so. I bought it a year ago and rode last year with them as I only tooled around town. Not this year though. Daddy needs some new shoes!
                      Still hold air after all of these years!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Still hold air after all of these years!

Daniel
                        Must have tubes.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Must have tubes.
                          Indeed, they did.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Went ahead and ordered Shinko 230 Tourmasters, both front and back. Estimated delivery in 2 days. Cool.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Suzuki was selling NOS tires for early 80s GSes at least as late as 1997. So the tire you removed might not have been the original one on the bike.

Can you check the date/factory code on the sidewall?
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                              X