Wrong choke cable ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong choke cable ??

When I went to revive my '81 GS750L from it's winter hibernation, I found that the rear tire valve stem had not survived the winter. It was about time for a new tire anyway, so, I removed the rear wheel in preparation for a trip to bwringer's garage. I bought a new rear tire at the end of the summer last year when it was on sale, so, no problems there. It didn't take as long as I thought, so, I decided to change out my choke cable.

I bought this cable a couple years ago meaning to change it at some point. The "old" one doesn't stay where it's put and I've been using a clothespin to hold up the choke when starting the bike. I know, I've tried twisting it after it's pulled up, but, no deal. It's toast. Anyway, I break out the new cable, remove the old one and realize that the new one won't thread down into the steering stem as the old did. The new cable's threaded portion is the same size as the threaded portion of the steering stem nut that it's supposed to thread into. It should have a much smaller diameter threaded portion that threads down into the steering stem, not match up to it.

What the heck ? Are there two types of choke cables for the steering stem type ? I'm thinking I got sent the wrong cable. Sorry for the lack of pics. I can post some tonight, if need be.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

I couldn't find the dang camera last night.

Anybody have any idea on this ? I think this is the first time I have no response from a question......I'm feeling a little lonely........
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Is it an OEM cable, or did they give you an aftermarket where the supplier interpreted the od wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
        Is it an OEM cable, or did they give you an aftermarket where the supplier interpreted the od wrong?
        I bought it from the local Suzuki dealer a couple years ago. So.....OEM, I guess. I don't think that they would give me an aftermarket, if I ordered it from Suzuki.

I just thought all the stem type choke cables attached the same way. Maybe not.

Thanks....I don't feel so lonely anymore.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          I bought it from the local Suzuki dealer a couple years ago. So.....OEM, I guess. I don't think that they would give me an aftermarket, if I ordered it from Suzuki.

I just thought all the stem type choke cables attached the same way. Maybe not.

Thanks....I don't feel so lonely anymore.
          I'd have to go out an look to be sure but I know yours has that chrome nut thing it should thread into no? And IIRC the "G" models were different but still threaded through the stem. I think they just had a black set of plastic locknuts or whatever you want to call em. Maybe I'm misremembering. I had to change both roses 550L a d the 1000G a while back and they weren't the same style but did the same thing. Perhaps they've given you the wrong one.

Comment

Yes, it's just threads down into the chrome nut and the diameter of the threaded portion is small...The "new" one is still threaded, but, a much larger diameter. I can rig up the old one again for now.

Why in the world would they make two types ? Uuuuggghhhhh !!!!!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I have also seen a couple different diameters used in the threads.

Can't tell you what the different ones were used on, as they were just cables coiled up in a box.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't even think to make sure it was the right one because.....1.) I ordered an '81 GS750L cable and 2.) I had no idea there was more than one type anyway.

I'm seriously thinking of converting my lefthand control to an after '82 (or was it '83 ?) setup with a thumb choke cable. It would take some work at the carb connection too. Or, just make something up on the leftside of the engine that will pull the choke rail and have the adjustability to lock into place.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  I'm seriously thinking of converting my lefthand control to an after '82 (or was it '83 ?) setup with a thumb choke cable. It would take some work at the carb connection too.
                  That setup started in '82. You will need the lever and pivot hardware, of course. I have adapted an earlier switch housing to the '82 "choke" lever by gluing a couple of blocks that key the housing to keep it from twisting. You will need a new "choke" cable AND an all-new (well, different) "choke" rail on the carbs, along with all the little bits and springs that hold the cable to the rail and the curved holder that attaches to carb #2.

I have all the parts to do that to my bike, but there are several other projects that are higher on the priority list.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    That setup started in '82. You will need the lever and pivot hardware, of course. I have adapted an earlier switch housing to the '82 "choke" lever by gluing a couple of blocks that key the housing to keep it from twisting. You will need a new "choke" cable AND an all-new (well, different) "choke" rail on the carbs, along with all the little bits and springs that hold the cable to the rail and the curved holder that attaches to carb #2.

I have all the parts to do that to my bike, but there are several other projects that are higher on the priority list.

Sheesh.....that sounds like way to much work....

I'll get it figured out. Thanks Steve and welcome home. Isn't it nice to be back in sunny and warm midwest ?
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Here's the choke cable conundrum I'm dealing with. The solution is obvious, which is to just buy the correct cable.

Really my question to the hive is.....Who has what cable ? Which bikes did each type cable fit ?

The narrow threaded one on the right is the correct one for an '81 GS 750L. The left one with the larger diameter threads won't fit, but has the same threads as the steering stem.

Or am I just missing something ??

Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                      X